A social butterfly. That is what my mom called me growing up. I made and kept friends easily. I usually had a core group of friends that I relied on for the important things, like borrowed hair crimpers and shoulders to cry on during rotten-good-for-nothing boyfriend breakups. But I also had many acquaintances. Still do. And they are a fun, solid bunch of people. Funny thing is though, my core group has shrunk these past few years. Significantly.
Perhaps that is based on what consumes my time these days. My free time is now devoted to my bubbly daughters and that handsome husband of mine, so any non-family related functions must be worth it. The people I am surrounded with must be good enough. Sounds absurd, I know. But I am so selective now in who I hold near, and in who I make an effort to get to know or maintain relationships with. I don't have the energy for crazies. I don't have time for shallowness or drama or ignorance. I need quality people in my life. People who lift me up. People who embrace life. People with substance.
With that said, I am fully aware that sounds "holier than thou." And believe me, I am aware my friends are getting the short end of the stick in this relationship. I'm a mess most days, and am borderline crazy myself (which is why I can't be friends with "mes"). But I am fiercely loyal and occasionally funny. And hopefully the combination of the two is enough for those in my inner circle.
Do you want to know the strange thing? While some of the women in that inner circle I see often, many are not people I hang out with daily. A few of them even live miles away. But they get me. And I feel connected to them in an indescribable way. And if they were sad, I would hop in my car and drive for hours so I could show up on their doorstep with Sour Patch Kids, a tissue and a mixed tape, er, CD. Because family aside, these women get me through. And I'm lucky to have them.
And while I am not out to make new friends (Cho, get out your "Who Has More Friends" list from the 5th grade cause you actually might beat me now), I am not closed off to the idea. I am just a lot more picky. Maybe that comes with age. Is there a bit of truth to the older and wiser thing? Not sure. I do know this. The small but mighty saying rings true. My circle of friends may be shrinking, but it consists of pretty stellar people. And that makes it plenty big enough for me.
12 comments:
Maybe this has something to do with growing up? Another friend and I talk about this all the time. We came to the conclusion that we have spoiled each other. There is no way on earth anyway can be as good! It gets harder and harder to make quality friends the older I get...
Let me know if you figure out the answer to this one!
Amber,
I think we just go through different stages in our lives. Some of it has to do with our comfort zones, but more I think it has to do with our needs and desires of a particular instant in our lives. Me? I think I'm becoming more comfortable in social situations than I have ever been in my life. I'm more comfortable with a wider circle of friends. They don't fulfill the same needs I had when I was single. I'm a different person now, and I'm finally growing into myself.
Occasionally funny?! Whatever. This post rings so true to me, also. Part of me finds it so depressing that my list of "friends" has shrunk so significantly in the last 10 years. Another part of me is glad that the not-so-true friends were weeded out with time. I do miss good solid friendship, though. I crave it sometimes.
John and I lean hard on each other as friends, probably because we've moved SO MUCH! Hooray for computers so we can stay in easy touch with good friends we meet along the way. I feel lucky my list is growing.
you are experiencing a phenomenon called MATURITY. yep. and womanhood. you are comfortable with who you are and know what is important to you. this makes you conscious of where your energies are spent. nothing is to be wasted, right? i get it, completely. amen to the small circles!
i'd totally show up on your doorstep with sour patch kids.
you are experiencing a phenomenon called MATURITY. yep. and womanhood. you are comfortable with who you are and know what is important to you. this makes you conscious of where your energies are spent. nothing is to be wasted, right? i get it, completely. amen to the small circles!
i'd totally show up on your doorstep with sour patch kids.
I honestly think that the whole "popularity contest" just doesn't matter any more!!! I have like 3 friends and non of them are with in 5 states of me! How sad!!!
You are beyond exceptional Amber, and I feel so blessed to be in your circle. I think Brad and "The Law" feel the same way. I don't have many friends either, but the ones I do- people like you- are amazing!!
EXACTLY (have you been listening-in on late night conversations between my husband and I?)! It is so hard to find that handfull of individuals who, combined, create the perfect friend storm.
I'm so glad I re-found you!
...and if you show up on my doorstep, make it whoppers or pb m&ms.
AMEN Sista! Seriously Amber, I think we would get along given the opportunity that is. You seem to verbalize on your blog just what I have been mulling over in my mind so often! Love it, and love the way you write!
I need your pecan pie recipe! Is it the kind that is thin and caramelly, or thick and gelatinous? Cause my husband dies over the thin, caramel kind that his Grandma (from S. Carolina) makes. I got the recipe from her years ago, but (in true Southern passive-aggressive fashion) I think she sabotaged the recipe. I've tried making it a bunch of times, and it does NOT work. Big waste of precious pecans is all. Anyway, I would love a recipe that is edible. If you wouldn't mind.
Everything you have said is TRUE! I think a lot of it is because we have become wiser in our old age. Why invite chaos into our lives when we have enough of our own? I also think that this whole adult life (jobs, kids, etc.) lends itself to fewer friends. Not only do we have to schedule our time we have to work with our friends schedule.
Post a Comment