April 21, 2013

Begin Again

Sometimes your life pauses and another life, an unplanned life, takes over. You live it because you have no choice. Nothing you can do changes your circumstances, so you submit to a temporary life not of your choosing.

And then, you are granted the opportunity to return to your life and begin again. Funny though, that life is not as you left it. Your perspective has shifted and nothing looks the same. Your priorities are different, better. You vow to keep them that way, live a slower more meaningful life.

And all that is fine and good. You've got your mental and emotional state under control. What is not under control is your physical state, because you blinked and your health went to hell. It's a beast like that when unattended to.

This is what I ate for lunch. Guacamole-lined lettuce wraps and an orange. It was delicious and reminded me how much I love real food. So back to the daily grind: Paleo and exercise. Because both make me happy.

But it's hard to reset and undo months worth of damage a sedentary lifestyle full of sugar and crap and sugary crap causes. So I'm making an accountability promise. Not so much for you (although you're welcome to be a fly on my kitchen wall), but for me. I'm going to post a picture of one Paleo meal a day on this here bloggity blog for the next 30 days. That's 30 tasty Paleo meals in all their Kodak glory. Yum.

Here's the disclaimer: I'm no Ansel Adams. Pics will be snapped with my iPhone and unedited and ugly. But they'll be posted nonetheless. I'm also not a Paleo Nazi. I eat bacon, the occasional hard cheese and a legume or two. It works for me and so I roll with it.

30 days. Bring it.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Amber-- I am with you there on the re-set button. I am not as brave to go all paleo, but wanting to make better life/health choices. I have a few years to get back to my re-start. Thanks for sharing your meals! I will stay tuned!
Amber

Cat said...

First of all, glad to have you back!!

Secondly, good work. You are motivating me which I sorely needed. I normally eat pretty darn well and this last trimester I have been eating crap simply because it is hard for me to keep up with my constant hunger using real meals. 1) I'm on bed rest 2) I don't cook and 3) I plow through the fresh stuff so fast. It makes for lots of cereal, peanut butter on bread and other members of the beige food group. I'm at the point where I see fresh vegetables and my body cries out for them! I won't post pictures but I'll make a goal to eat at least one fresh meal a day with you.