January 12, 2008

I guess that makes me a queen!

As I sit watching Cora twirl in her new Princess dress, glass slippers, and "diamond" necklace while she simultaneously applies plastic lipstick and flings her hair over her shoulders, I am concerned. I am raising a 3-year-old princess and I have only myself to blame.

Growing up we lived in a tiny 3 bedroom apartment, shared by 2 parents, 5 siblings, 2 turtles, 1 bird and an occasional fish. To describe our family as poor would be an understatement, but as kids we were oblivious to our financial situation. We thought everyone we knew wore the same pair of shoes until their feet touched the pavement, and then traded them in for a raggedy hand-me-down pair that still had a good 3 weeks left in them before the soles completely blew out. We figured all kids held yard sales to earn enough money to feast on the gourmet cuisine at McDonald's. We didn't realize things came in brand names and that there were places besides Pic-N-Save that sold school clothes.

Being poor never affected our happiness. We couldn't afford gymnastic and dance classes, so we choreographed and performed our own routines to Madonna's Material Girl for the whole neighborhood to enjoy (that is if you could afford the hefty 5 cent cover charge). We never had money for the latest toys, so we created elaborate carnivals with games, "rides" and prizes; we wrote, directed and performed our own plays and even made up our own version of Mancala using old egg cartons and rocks, all the while unaware that there was a struggle to put food on the table. We adapted our play to accommodate our measly resources and never gave it a second thought.

So why am I so determined to give my daughters the life I never had, and looking back never missed. I've looked over the budget and am worried I can't afford to put Cora in dance classes until the summer. I'm almost sick thinking about how much she would love it and how much she will miss out on. I researched preschools for months before finding a Montessori based preschool that nearly required us to take out a second mortgage to afford the monthly tuition, but I wanted her to have the best. I would go back to work before I let my girls walk around in holey shoes with blown out soles. I want them to have all the things I missed out on, but I am having a hard time remembering what that was. And I am having an even harder time striking a balance between giving them everything their little heart's desire and teaching them that they don't always get everything their little heart's desire.

I know money doesn't buy happiness. It can, as evidenced by the look on Cora's face when she opened her new Princess attire Christmas morning. But I have seen the same smile her shiny glass slippers generated on her face when wrestling with Daddy, or playing Hide and Seek with Claire. It is quite easy and inexpensive to make her happy and that should make it simple to put the check book away and not freak out about a missed semester at dance class, right? So why is it so hard for me?

I always say Mark and I are careful not to spoil them, but if growing up we were given everything we now give our children, we would have certainly believed we were royalty. And I am afraid that my little “princess” will soon want to trade her glass slippers in for a pair of Jimmy Choos with a matching hand bag, and then it will be too late to teach her the value of a dollar. Does anyone else out there mirror my fears or have any advice, or am I alone in my discovery of yet another way I am screwing up my children??!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts! I can certainly relate even though I only have 1 girl, but I don't have a lot of advice. I guess just pray that she ends up with the same size feet so you can borrow her Jimmy Choos! :) Just kidding, seriously though as long as you teach them to be grateful and kind (whcih I think Cora and Claire both are) then you've done your best and you should be proud!

Anonymous said...

If I beg can I get an encore of your Madonna performance. I'm willing to pay the 5 cents! Don't stress about it. It is normal to want your kids to have full lives and I know you are trying to give them a good balance!

Michelle said...

I had a similar upbringing - little money but lots of imagination. I remember eagerly waiting to be able to fit in the white dress with red poke-a-dots that my older sister would pass down, or having only a sandwich in my lunch pale when others came with candy bars or (even better) other got to eat hot lunch! I never knew that we didn't have money. Similarly your daughters don't know if you have or you don't have money. Money can buy material items but it can not buy what you teach them. It can not buy kindness, generosity, humbleness, gratefulness, etc. Your girls are lucky to have a mother who will pass on these wonderful traits!

Unknown said...

So I am glad you finished this blog. I know exactly how you feel especially going through the divorce and not having as much money as I did previously. Sydnee asked daily when she is going to start the dance classes again and I don't really know what to tell her so I find myself saying "Soon" an awful lot. Your kids are very happy and you both are great parents. I don't think you are screwing them up at all...I think we all just have to do things more in moderation. Hahha....