August 11, 2008

I get by with a little help from my friends!

Over the last year I have had the opportunity to visit with some great friends I rarely get to see. I often forget how blessed I have been through the years to have been surrounded by such solid friends. As I grew, changed and matured (I know that is debatable!), those friendships did too. I am endlessly grateful for friends. For their advice, for their patience, for their laughter, for their companionship, for their tears, for their humor. So to all of you out there that have put up with me through the years, who love me in spite of my shortcomings, and who have helped me navigate the often crazy path my life has taken thus far, I say thank you. Very much.

The first few pictures were taken when our friends John and Alisa Knight came through Boise. We met them years ago while working at Philmont (although when we met them they were not a "them." In fact, a few months ago I blogged about how Mark and I met, fell in love and blah, blah, blah . In that post I made reference to the moment I knew I loved, loved Mark and how I happened to be on the curb of Mark's recently minted ex-girlfriend. Well, Alisa is that ex-girlfriend and it only gets crazier from there!). Anyway, we love them dearly and have tried to convince them to move closer to us so we can play more often. So the first picture is one Cora took (not bad, eh). We should have let her keep the camera because the 3 photos that followed were our attempts at getting a nice group photo of all of our kids together.
Yep, we know they are crazy!

Next up (and this is a bit old), I had a mini-reunion with my best friends from Yuma: Rose, Amy and Gaylynn (we missed you Edna and Ericka!). We were all pretty much inseparable until my parents decided to uproot our family from sunny Arizona right before I started high school and relocate us to the land of potatoes.
Of course had my parents not done that, I would have never met these fine ladies below. Tara, Sara and Joey were daily staples on my social calendar at Payette High and I blame them for masterminding any trouble I got into (I have to add that false disclaimer because I know you read these mom)!
And last, but certainly not least, we have Treshia, Megan and Debbie from those memory filled college days on Vermont Ave. We met up for dinner last week and I was reminded how it was I survived those tumultuous years. These marvelous girls kept me sane on very little sleep and too much Ramen (okay, who are we kidding, Papa John's pizza!!) and have transformed into remarkable mothers and wives.
I would include a few more gatherings, play dates, etc., but I always forget to take pictures (Amber, Tyson and Eliza!) or small subjects will not cooperate (I guess we must have another "Most Anticipated Play Date of the Year," Andrea!).

So if you don't see your face on this post, that means we need to stop slacking and have lunch already!

And I will end with a favorite quote of mine by Ralph Waldo Emerson:
"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature."

Well said.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

What a fun post! And how I miss my friends! I always love seeing pictures of your house! We are still working on our floor, and it's great to see what it'll (hopefully) look like when we are done.

Anonymous said...

OK, not on there. Still on for a lunch date if you have to drive a few thousand miles? How fun to see old friends. That is the best!

Andrea said...

Yes, yes we will! I will be home next June...let's schedule it now so we have to see each other!

And I think Joey and Tara had a hand it getting me into some trouble also...

Andrea said...

Aren't friends the best? I have been pondering this thought for some time, especially as I become reaquainted with old friends, like you (it helps that I just had a 10-year reunion with my college roommates, too). It never ceases to delight me how amazing my childhood friends turned out. I guess as kids you just never really think about the future, and can't imagine what your friends will be, or even what you will be, so it's so nice when they turn out to be incredibly talented, socially aware adults who shoulder their responsibilities and trials with courage, strength, and happiness. People who inspire you. I am constantly in awe of the people I am allowed to rub shoulders with in this life. This is one of my favorite quotes on friends, although I don't know who said it (it is even the theme of a scrapbook page from college): "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words." Or something to that effect. If ever I start to forget my song, all I need do is look through old pictures, read old letters, or hop on blogger, baby! And there is my song, sung a hundred times better than I could sing it, reminding me that everything's gonna' be alright. Okay, easy Andrea. This is what happens when I spend WAY too much time reading - I wax even more wordy and weird than anyone thought possible. Anyway, I am so glad we got back in touch! I have thoroughly enjoyed our new association through blogs and emails, and count you as one of my best friends. Oh, and thanks for the fun picture of the old "girls." So cute.

Jayson, Megan, Dawson & Creed said...

It was so great to "get out" and chat with my friends! Amber, you Rock! We just have to get to get together more often!

Stephanie said...

I'm still jealous you got to see Alisa! You two look like such hot mommas in that picture! I love it!

Monica said...

Too bad Suzie got sick and we forgot to tke a picture the other night or maybe just maybe I would have made it into this post. lol

Debbie and Boys said...

I love how you are such a literary story teller! Your blog is fun to read just because of your writing style. Not to mention its fun to see pictures of us all together. Dido, to what Andrea O. said. Friends turn out to be more amazing people than we thought at the time they'd become. That is the fun of keeping in touch. Realizing how simply amazing the people you've been blessed to have in your life really were and are still becoming. If that makes any sense. But, ...loved having you girls to myself the other night. I'll miss this.