March 15, 2008

Can someone tell me where to find the gravy train?

I am fairly certain I was preordained to be rich, and something got jumbled along the way. I love nice things, expensive things; things beyond my means. I can't come to terms with the fact that I was destined to be a coupon clipper. And occasionally I feel I am living in the skin of some poor person (wearing a pathetic clearanced wardrobe that, I might add, is so last season) who can only afford Marshmallow Matey's, when rich me is trapped inside screaming for Lucky Charms. I know it sounds trite, pathetic and snotty, but Oprah says to throw it out there into the Universe if you want results, so there you have it. Now about how long should I wait before the Porsche pulls into my driveway??

Curious about the cause of the above rant? Well, I went to a craft store the other day (stop gasping, it's not like I got a frequent shopper punch card or put my name on their mailing list or anything, geesh!), and fell in love with this beautiful wooden picture frame with a perfect quote. I wanted it so badly (I was actually pretty tempted to offer up one of my unruly children in exchange, but due to my husband's profession, thought twice about it), but the $150 price tag made me cringe and sulk out of the store empty handed. So I was a little on the bitter side, still am. I want that picture frame! But I am not sure now if it is because I actually love it, or because I can't have it.

Seriously though, those who know me best know that I am truly happy, and although flying first class would make my day, I wouldn't trade it for what I have now. Because as cliché as it sounds, money can't buy this. I wake up happy, in a noisy, far-from-mansionesque house that will always be messy. And I go to sleep just as happy. Although, after surviving whatever adventures the day offered up, I am often more tired than grateful. And it is in that exhausted state that I dream of a personal masseuse and a full-time house-keeper; of exotic romantic get-a-ways and New York shopping sprees. So go ahead and judge me, remind me of why I should label myself as a "have" instead of a "have-not." But then go have yourself a nice big bowl of Marshmallow Matey's and try telling me you wouldn't prefer Lucky Charms instead! That's what I thought. You are a closet Prada lover too!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I used to pretend that I was adopted and that my "real" parents were rich. Someday they will find me and leave me with their fortune. Back to reality . . .even if we were rich we would still cut coupons, eat marshmallow matey's and go to the dollar theatre. Thank goodness for our happiness that cannot be purchased with money. But if we could purchase it I am sure we would wiat until it was on sale!

Stephanie said...

Oh I hear you! I don't know about the Prada...I just want to go out to dinner every week. I love when people make yummy food and bring it to me. I also reallllllly want this amazing rug to go in my new house, but the price tag is ridiculous...but I've looked at like 500 rugs online, and nothing is even close. Ahhh!

Amy and Chaos said...

Ahh, well put. I love to shop. I love to give things to my children. I love to see them get so excited over a toy, or clothes (yes they love getting clothes), or shoes. I love to have movies. And I too would rather have Lucky Charms. And Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Oh well.

Chredna said...

I'm dying to know what the quote said on this must have frame. And although I do love marshmallow mateys, Coco Roo's and Frosted Mini Spooners are our family favorites! Love Ya Amber!
Edna

Amber said...

Hey whats wrong with being on the craft store mailing list? :) They send you 50% off coupons every few weeks! Which craft store did you go to? There is a good chance they offer some sweet coupons!
OK so I'm not very crafty but I do like to use my half off coupons!

Anonymous said...

I have a secret fantasy of owning a yacht. Crazy stuff huh! And I am glad you cleared up that craft store nonsense becuase I almost had to start mocking you. Really though Amber, I know you want to go back everyday now right? Just call me the next time you feel the urge to go!!

Andrea said...

What are you talking about? You ARE crafty (in the non he-he-he way), your new blog template screams scrap booking! :) I laughed out loud. We must have been related in that preordination you speak of. My husband teases me that I can walk into any store and, without looking at price tags, pick out the most expensive thing there, without fail. It's tragically unfair to be so well-endowed with taste and so un-endowed with the means to satisfy it.:) Side note (in reference to your comment on my blog): When you said a "what to expect" book, were you referencing, "What to expect when you're expecting?" Because I can't even tell you how many times I've gone off about that stupid book, and how I'm going to write a rebuttal to it, or a what to REALLY expect. Let's do it. I can hear the gravy train now..."All Aboard!"

Andrea said...

Which is why I gladly buy my 4.00 box of Kellogs fruit and yogurt cereal without remorse...because if I withdrew every indulgence I would be miserable. Here's to the little things!

Pat Dannenberg said...

Say it with me....REBATE CHECK! May 1st and they are in the mail!

danberg said...

That is when I write down the quote, or take a picture if I can, order the vinyl lettering online, buy a frame I can distress, and make one that looks almost as good but cost 1/10 as much! :) The things being poor teaches me!