March 10, 2008

The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

Okay so it hasn't been that bad, I just loved that book growing up and it seemed to sum up what I was feeling (if you haven't read it, do! The official title is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a day like today. You know the ones. Too much laundry and not enough time. Too many bills and not enough money. Too many tantrums and not enough patience. I mean it is typical, but for some reason today it was just overwhelming.

I was short with my girls when they had done nothing wrong. I couldn't shut the tears off, but I couldn't tell you why I was crying. The 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies I've consumed in the last week began to show up on my thighs (blasted Girl Scouts!). Well maybe that is the root of the problem. The Samoas are gone and I am having withdrawals! Regardless, I was tired and cranky and mean.

Trying to keep myself from wallowing in unjustifiable self-pity, I had just started washing the breakfast dishes when Cora came sprinting through the kitchen screeching, with Claire close on her heels. My initial instinct was to order up a set of time-outs and go back to my dishes. That was until, during their second lap through the kitchen, I saw what was making Cora run for her life. Little Claire, in all of her 18-month-old wisdom, had figured out a way to make her sister play chase with her, when she typically refused. She had produced the slimiest booger in recent memory and, with it perched safely on her finger tip, began pointing it at Cora and tauntingly chanting, "boogie, boogie, boogie." The more Cora freaked out, the faster Claire pumped her chubby legs.

I should have rescued Cora. That is what a good mom would have done. But since I have never been loyal to that title, I sat back and enjoyed a good and much needed laugh at Cora's expense. And for some reason, the piles of laundry don't seem so overwhelming anymore!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I love the visual!! Hee hee hee!

Andrea said...

I love that book, and often can relate to its title...probably a little too often. Problem is that when I am ticked, I have a hard time finding humor in anything (until after the kids are in bed and I'm venting to Ty...then we have a good laugh), so that's good that you can take time away from wallowing in the depths of despair to laugh at your kids. I should take a lesson or two from you, sounds like.

Unknown said...

You and I were once those "blasted girlscouts"! Remember the book we gave to Mrs. Zimmerman? A token of our affection, a thick blank paged book whose only purpose was for conking us over the head! Good times, good times.

Pat Dannenberg said...

I would run from that booger too! What is going on? Susan and I have recently posted our blog on the PTC Staff Website and people have started coming around that I have not seen or heard from in quite some time. I hope all is going well for you guys in Boise. Susan and I will be trying to Make it up to Boise sometime - not sure when but sometime this summer hopefully.

Anonymous said...

Can I say how excited I am to be in contact with Philmont folks again! ?! Thanks to Amy Maxey! I jumped out of my seat when I checked our blog and two more Philmont buddies had written. I don't care if you weren't good friends at Philmont. I think once you walk on Philmont ground you are buddies with everyone! :) Thanks for writing. I check your blog daily, along with about 10 others:)
Talk to you later,
Amy Ray

Amy and Chaos said...

I love your blogs! I know. I have said it before. But it's so great how you put our everyday lives into these wonderful words and I think, my life is definitely not dull - it's just like Amber's! Thank you for the laughs!