June 17, 2008

Um, is there a support group for this kind of addiction?

Maybe Mothers Against Dracula? Or how about Vampires Anonymous? Anything? Anyone?

I finally gave in to the craze and our book club began reading Twilight. I read the first book in 3 days, went immediately out to buy the second book and finished that in less than 24 hours, all 600 pages of it (no worries, no children were neglected while I was devouring the book). I was going to try to pace myself and save the third book for July, so the wait for the fourth wouldn't be so long. But I am addicted. Obsessed rather! I am on my way now to pick up Eclipse. I need help.

Oh and another thing, I am in love with a vampire. A stone-cold, bloodsucking vampire. I tried to explain the whole lusting after a fictional monster to my husband, but he just can't comprehend. He is of course just a human, so that does not surprise me!

Well, I am off to bury my nose in another book and then sulk for a month and a half until the new book comes out.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

I think practically every blog I've ever been on mentions these books. I don't even know what they are, but apparently they are highly popular. This is the very reason I don't read. I honestly get WAY too involved (if it's good) and seriously neglect everything else in my life and get "lost" in the story to the point that my own life seems like an out of body experience. Then I go through a mini depression when the book is over and mourn it's loss. Dumb. I think when all my kids are in school I'll take up my favorite hobby of reading again. But until then, if I am expected to keep them alive, I'd better steer clear of the written word. I'm glad others can indulge without worry of life-threatening side effects. :) I'll just live vicariously through you, so keep the commentary flowing!

Andrea said...

Ok...me being a reading fiend I am now very curious. I shall now go to Amazon.com and find out what these mysterious books are about.

danberg said...

I have not yet given into the addiction, but funny that everyone I know is so in love with Edward Cullen! Last night I was in Borders in the childrens section, and I saw the funniest thing! There was a short, chubby, balding, middle aged, glasses wearing man who was completely ignoring his children who were playing in the childrens area while he was completely engrossed in 'Eclipse'. I thought it was hilarious, because obviously this man too is obsessed with Edward Cullen! Must be good!

Debbie and Boys said...

Dido to Andrea's comment. Last June I went on a book frenzy and my house and children nearly fell apart. And then the being in love with a fictional character that isn't real life doesn't work well for me! It took about 5 books of reading then I stopped and haven't started again. As for men reading it, I've heard that there are a few men in our home town who are into it just as much as there wives! Maybe I'll start these books next. I just need to schedule when I'm ready to let go of everything.

Andrea said...

Ok, well I'm not going to buy it until I know I like it enough to read it twice so I put it on hold at the library...but I'm #131 in line so it may be awhile! I just might have to borrow yours while I am in Idaho. If they are as good as you say I could have three of them read in two weeks no problem! ; )

Kristin said...

It's crazy, but it's totally true. These books are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry but I am the one and only Mrs. Edward Cullen. Fight me for him?

Anonymous said...

I love vampires too. Never thought I would hear those words come out of my mouth!

Amber said...

On facebook they have a "Because I read Twilight I have unrealistic expectations in men" group. I think their mantra is "Edward is only a fictional character...Edward is only a fictional character..." :)

PEHNelson said...

Amber.. I LOVE EDWARD! You'll have to go back and read my post on it as well. I can't wait for August to read the next book. And like your other comments - I am not ALLOWED to read until I have certain things done in my house. It's a rule Paul put on me, for good reason, because I literally IGNORE my children, him, my house and everything else while I read. So when I start a series that's bad news. Harry Potter is the worst by far!!! I WANT TO BE A VAMPIRE!

Stephanie said...

I love that you love these books! They are not great literature by any means, but pretty fun romantic fantasy. As you know, I was totally addicted, and still am. There's a website called twilightmoms.com which has some funny stuff. If you go on, make sure to click the "Then Read This!" link towards the top. It's worth a quick read. Diego was a bit neglected the week I read all three books. He couldn't talk much back then, but he would come up and push my book away. I got the hint, but I found ways to keep him entertained so I could keep reading. Just talking about it makes me want to read them again. Maybe I should since the next book is coming out soon. Or should I say finally. I've been waiting nearly a year! Have you read Amber's old posts about trying to be an extra in the movie, and Derek being considered as a body double for Carlisle, but he went to work instead! My YW leaders and I were all totally dorky about it. And a couple of the girls in our YW were also obsessed and had T-shirts. One had a team Edward shirt that said Bite Me, and the other had a Team Jacob shirt that said Hot Dog. We had an activity where we had to make a snowman out of balloons and they made an Edward Cullen vampire snowman. Ah the craze. I could go on, but I'll stop. Oh, I also have some links to movie site pics if you're interested. I know I'm a total nerd.

Stephanie said...

I just have to add that after making that last comment it got me so excited about the whole thing again that I went on a bunch of fansites, and found an excerpt from the 4th book, put a widget on my blog to count down to its release, and started reading Twilight again. I'm on page 199. All that and it's only been a day and a half. I didn't even finish reading your other more recent entries. I had started at the bottom with intentions to work my way up. I promise I'll read them soon, but I can't promise it will be before I'm done with the book. Total nerd, I know.