May 02, 2009

Slow down, you move to fast.

I get so mad at all of you when you are posting slackers. I need to click on my dashboard and see a plethora of new posts (side note: when I first learned the meaning of the word "plethora," I tried to use it in every possible sentence. Now I hate it, and rarely use it. Kinda like how I used to LOVE Chef Boyardee raviolis in high school, but I ate so many back then, that I can't stomach them now). But I realized that I have no right to judge, because in the month of April, I posted a total of 4 times. Pathetic. Consider the wrist officially slapped. And this is my public vow to do better (because I'm sure most of you sit at the edge of your seat, clicking refresh repeatedly as you anxiously wait for a new post from me, no?).
Moving on. I have been troubled lately by my impatience with Claire. If you routinely read my blog, you know Claire is, well, a disaster. I am quick to point out her flaws, her antics, her naughtiness. But, if I pause long enough to catch them, she is a wealth of life lessons.

She marches to the beat of her own drum, moves at a snail's pace and offers unconditional love. She forces me to slow down. But, of course, instead of embracing that, I get frustrated and try to hurry her along at the world's pace. She will slowly pedal to the park, arriving there a good 15 minutes after her sister. It is not that she is incapable of pedaling fast, those sturdy legs are strong and able. She just chooses to pedal for a minute, then pause to stare up at the clouds. Pedal a bit more, then stop to examine the rocks by the road. She has a different concept of time. She is in no hurry. She will not be rushed. It's as if she knows I need to be constantly reminded to cherish each moment, so she takes 5 minutes to walk from the car to the gym door, 10 feet in front of her.

I am impatient (dial-up almost did me in). I want instant results. One of my old journal entries from high school reads, "I need immediate gratification. I would love to learn how to play the piano, but I would expect to be Beethoven after a few lessons. I want to run a marathon, and would, if a week would be enough time to train for one. I get it about Rome and all, but I want to drop 5 pounds in a day, learn Spanish in a semester, know that I am with the love of my life after one date." Regardless of how far I believe I have come since that time in my life, how many life lessons I believe I have learned. I am remarkably the same.

And that is why I have been blessed to know Claire. A daily reminder to slow down. She is such a happy little girl, and I think she holds the secret. There is no need to rush. Let the world pass you by. Seems easy enough, right? So simple even a 2-year-old can do it.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Your words make me laugh because they are true. I get annoyed when folks in the hinterland are slacking on their post because, darn it, it's all about entertaining me!

Sadly, when I have four post a month I celebrate in triumph my success. At one point I wondered if I should add "post daily" on my New Years Resolution list.

Maybe "post daily" will be added to the June-Years-Resolution-list.
I am proud of you for keeping your old high school journals. I kept some and then realized they were being read so I vowed never to have one again. I have contemplated re-journaling as some of my thoughts should probably NOT be posted.

(WOW . . .this is really long.)

Anyhoo ~ Your daughter is such a cutie. I too, need to learn that lesson. I will try to stop refreshing every five seconds on all the blogs that I haunt (baby, steps).

Anonymous said...

Wright a FREAKEN book girlfriend. You are amazing. So I have a kid like that. But.... I wasn't smart enough to figure her out. Lesson well taken. Your amazing.

Dannenbergs said...

I too need to step back and look for the positive sometimes. It's hard to do when you're in the thick of things. I wish taking things slow came naturally to me.

Rachel said...

I love this post Amber...I have tears I eyes. I love Claire, and I think you know how much. Her and I are buddies, and I think you really put her "Claireness" into perspective. She is a remarkable little soul and I love her. (I still love at my house when the girls all come running downstairs, and I'll say, "Where's Claire?" 98% of the time the answer is, "Upstairs....naked." Ohhhh I love her. Thanks for this post. I think its such a great post for all parents, because each of our children hold little lessons if we just pay more attention.

Andrea said...

I'm just banking on a time when (WHEN?!)my children write a post about how their mother was always in a hurry, and they could never move quickly enough, and how it has taught them so much about the world, and how impatience is a priceless virtue, and how to never stop to notice anything beautiful or wonderful around them, but to focus on the task at hand and try not to make their ... mom ...mad ... oh...

That's never coming, is it?

Amber said...

Seriously good call! I end up carrying my child EVERYWHERE because I'm tired of waiting. No wonder she's so chubby. But why do I have to rush into the grocery store? Why?

Stephanie said...

What beautiful insight. And oh, so true. Thanks for the reminder.

The interview, suggested by Michelle, inspired by you.

Belladonna said...

This is a great post. Ya know, I would comment on your blog more often except for one thing - whenever I click to comment it cuts off the music and I LOVE your music choices! I admit sometimes I will open your blog when I know darn well I don't have time to read it just to leave the music on while I'm doing something else!