I have religious beliefs. Strong ones. But I don't, nor will I ever, talk about them on my blog. Many of you may see that as strange. I am not ashamed of the things I believe, I just prefer not to discuss them on my blog. Most of my friends do. And I think that is great. But my blog will remain a religion free zone.
With that said, I want to tell you about an experience I had recently while planning the charity garage sale. Although I had hoped for an outpouring of support, I underestimated the greatness of the people around me and the people of this community. It has exploded from a small neighborhood garage sale, to a full blown charity event. A driveway would no longer be sufficient. Thus began my search for a much larger venue.
All I needed was a parking lot. So I opened the phone book and began making phone calls. I begged old friends who are business owners. I contacted the gym I teach at. I called Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, Chevron, Hastings, Shopko, the gym where Cora takes gymnastics. I spent 3 hours on the phone. I was transferred here, disconnected there, promised a return call more times than I can count. I spoke to HR departments, store directors, managers, owners, real estate agents, PR firms. And I was told no. No. No. No. No. No.
We did not fall within the parameters of the charity functions they support. We did not have an EIN number. We were not an official non-profit. We might just take the money and run. We would have to contact so and so at corporate who would direct me to talk to so and so, who would then direct me to call so and so's boss. We needed to obtain liability insurance. We needed a formal letter on our company (?) letterhead, which would then be submitted to corporate and they would have an answer for us in 2 weeks, just 2 days after the garage sale. They would all like to help, but....
I was frustrated. We were trying to do such a great thing and the door kept slamming in our faces. Could it really be that hard to do good these days? I was feeling so discouraged. Sad that companies had implemented such strict policies regarding helping others, and angry that dishonest people those companies had dealt with in the past had required them to do so. And I was exhausted from begging, pleading with those businesses to trust us, have faith in the good we were doing.
In a last ditch effort, I picked up the phone and called a large Nazarene church. I am not Nazarene and have no connections at that particular building whatsoever. But I felt, at this point, what was one more rejection. And their parking lot was huge; the location prime. This is how my 101st phone conversation for that day went:
Lacey: Five Mile Nazarene Church, this is Lacey how can I help you?
Me: Hi Lacey. My name is Amber. I am heading up a charity garage sale on August 1st and we are in desperate need of a venue to hold the sale.
Lacey: On August 1st. Hmmm. Let me check. Nothing on the calendar. That sounds great.
Me: *pause* So, we CAN use your parking lot?
Lacey: Well sure.
Me: Did you need to know who the sale is benefiting or more information?
Lacey: Oh yes. Tell me all about it.
I quickly explain the situation. Choosing my words carefully, sure that this phone call is too good to be true. Waiting for the but....
Lacey: Oh that sounds amazing. This should be a perfect location for you. A lot of trees for shade. We have plenty of sidewalk space to set tables up on. And we see a lot of traffic, so your sale should be a success. But, there is one thing.
I knew it. She needed my EIN number. She needed to see a copy of our non-profit's accounting for the last 5 years. She needed the golden locks of my first born.
Lacey: We actually just had our church garage sale last weekend and we have a bunch of stuff left over. Would it be okay if we donated it to your sale?
I wanted to reach through the phone and kiss her. But I'm not sure how the Nazarenes feel about that sort of thing, so I refrained. She didn't know me. She didn't know the back story. She had never heard of our couponing blog. She heard the word "charity" and knew the rest would work itself out. Because she did not work for a jaded company. She was not employed by a business that placed restrictions on serving others. She was serving her God. And her God might not be your God. And your God might be no God at all. Regardless, there is much to be learned from her faith.
I hope I always remember Lacey. On days I feel nervous to raise my daughters in such an evil, corrupt, unforgiving world, I hope I remember her unwavering belief in the goodness of people.
9 comments:
Isn't it frustrating to deal with all the politics that go along with something as simple as a garage sale? Disgusting! I'm glad you found your spot - you are an amazing woman! Good luck!
Wow! That's great! There is some good in the world.
Praise the Lord that Lacey represented us God fearing Christians! Reminds me that I need to always give a little more, love a little more, and put others before myself because we never know who is watching.
Keep on keepin' on, Amber - you rock!
Joe has a favorite quote: Be the change you wish to see in the world
Sounds like a Chicken Soup for the Soul story. You should submit it to Guidepost. Hopefully you'll have a great ending to your story.
This is amazing! Thanks for being so persistent. Where there is a will, there is a way. And I am sure God gave a little wink and a nod also:).
I hope your garage sale is a HUGE success!!!!
This is amazing! Thanks for being so persistent. Where there is a will, there is a way. And I am sure God gave a little wink and a nod also:).
I hope your garage sale is a HUGE success!!!!
I think this post is perfect. I've always had problems with the idea of religions believing "my way is the only way."
What a great reminder that ALL religions harbor good souls, and that my truth may not be your truth, but we can all still love one another.
Thanks Amber.
YEAH!!! I am so happy to hear that there are still people out there who want to help with out strings attached. I'll send the word out to friends in the area where it will be and hopefully they will come and support this charity! Wish I was there to help :)
Post a Comment