July 29, 2009

Really, Wells Fargo?

The upcoming charity sale is consuming my life, so this post will be thrown together and might get wordy (What? Me wordy? Never). I just thought this was so absurd it was hilarious in a very wrong sort of way and had to share (it might also be therapeutic for me because I am not a happy camper).

As the story goes, the large banks got bailed out by the government. They, in turn, were supposed to filter that money back into the economy by utilizing the fancy, promise-rich, newly implemented, save-the-world programs for homeowners. This is how affective it is.

The current interest rate on our mortgage loan is 5.85%. Not too bad. But rates are down in the 4% range, and we wanted to take advantage of those rates by refinancing. We have busted our butts through the years to build excellent credit and Mark has a stable job. In this economy, shouldn't banks be jumping at the chance to have customers who actually have the ability to pay? Surprisingly, no.

Our only glitch (or so we thought) was that our home, like so many others, has seen a 50% decrease in value. You read that right, 50%. Every last penny of equity lost. But, we are luckily not upside down (barely). We owe exactly what our home is currently worth. Using the old 80/20 mortgage loan programs, we would not have been able to refinance. Enter newly implemented loan programs to rectify the situation.

The program we qualified for was created for homeowners just like us. If all other qualifications were met, it allowed a refi to be done even if the appraised value came in less than what was typically required. It was perfect. And so we locked our rate, filled out the required paperwork and waited. We waited and waited and waited. Certainly a loan cannot be tied up in underwriting for 3 months?

Well, it can't. The loan was canceled because it had hit a snag and therefore went over the allowable 90 day window. What was the glitch that kept us from refinancing?

Three years ago, when we first bought our house, our dear mortgage company accidentally typed in the wrong city when inputting our address in their data base. The error was caught and corrected. However, the correction is considered a modification. And when a loan is modified, for any reason whatsoever, it no longer qualifies for the program.

Essentially, our loan officer told us he had about 500 loan applicants attempting to utilize this "fantastic" new program. He figures only about 5 loans will actually close. I guess it should be of comfort to know we are not alone, but it makes my blood boil knowing that those highly publicized new loan programs to help homeowners are completely for show. They were never put into place to actually help, just to give homeowners a false sense of relief.

Okay, rant over. We will go on making our mortgage payment business as usual and be grateful we have the means to do so. But if I had that extra $250 in my pocket every month, do you know how many trips to Cold Stone that could fund? So government and Wells Fargo, on behalf of my thighs I thank you.

8 comments:

Amy Hall said...

Oh, Cold Stone...

Michelle Butler said...

that really suck!!! WE are only 3 hours from Austin. I am not so big on the pets either, but it was part of the deal to move here! it would be so fun to see you!!!

Stephanie said...

ERRRRRR! I understand the whole modification thing, but when it was the error by the mortgage company, not a change from you, that should void the clause about modifications. So many things pass through Congress without enough editing, or even people getting to read it, it's amazing. Take Cap and Trade (tax trillions of dollars to the Am. public to MAYBE lower the earths temp. by 0.05 degrees C)...of course, it's slipping through without much notice because of the big health plan stuff trying to get through.

Joel and Dacia said...

Ugh! Don't even get me started on all these great government programs...That totally sucks for you guys, but way to look on the bright side of things!

Andrea said...

You must be the queen of bright sides. I would be throwing a temper tantrum (and probably be asked to calm down by an armed guard) if I were you. So ridiculous.

Pat Dannenberg said...

Do you honestly think a government filled with corrupt people are going to help people? Do you also think they would actually create a program to really help people afford more when the people that can still afford their home are of a majority of people that did not vote for the currently elected? I mean if the program actually worked then you would have 250$ more to vote out the people in office. :o)

Rachel said...

K you're talking to my husband right now on the phone. THIS IS BS.

Maybe if you were on food stamps, Mark didn't work, and you had 20 kids you couldn't take care of??

I know you don't swear, but I think it's time.

Michelle said...

That IS crazy. What I have to say is really not politically correct so I will save it for an email . . .or a face-to-face.