September 08, 2009

Cora Bryn: Chapter II

Chapter 1 went a little something like this: Baby is born. Mother and father love and cuddle and feed and change and nourish and teach and protect and impart every necessary bit of wisdom they can to prepare little one for life outside the safe walls of her home. Then that baby grows into a little girl. Mother and father gather crayons and pencils, purchase new backpacks and shoes, sign papers and permission slips and walk their little girl to the doorstep of the next stage of her life. She takes a step forward and they take a step back, wondering if all the preparations will pay off. Will their impressionable daughter remember her manners and remember to be kind and remember that regardless of what other kids might say she is perfect just as she is. Will she remember that, despite all of the friendships she will make and all of the homework she will complete and all of the shoes she will wear through during recess, her 2 loudest cheerleaders are waiting at home for her?

I guess only time will tell.
This picture reminds me how fiercely independent Cora is. She would have been fine with us dropping her off a few blocks away so she could walk on her own to her very first day of school.
So grown up. And so beautiful.
And yet still so very very tiny.

I officially have a kindergartner. And so it begins...

7 comments:

Krista said...

All I can say is....time flies. It really does. Oh, and she is adorable!!

Amy Hall said...

I love that she is so sure of herself! You guys have done a great job with her:).

Lil' Stormster said...

Oh dang - I could cry! Couple of years and I'll be there too!

Andrea said...

I remember that day so well. Saylor kept asking me (during the orientation) when I was going to leave. Then I had to hide out in the parking lot (so she wouldn't see me)and wear my sunglasses (that darn early morning sun always makes me cry) so I could watch her make her way into the building with the other kids.

Why is it so heart-wrenching when you know it's coming from the moment you see the little line on the pregnancy test? I'm just hoping the first one is the hardest, cause I can't take that again.

Michelle said...

She is a tiny little thing. Her backback is almost as big as she is! Is she loving school?

The Howard Family said...

sooo, nice to hear from you! you and your family are still super cute!
p.s. love,love,love that song...reminds me of highschool and "Bed of Roses" one of my favorite movies.

adrian said...

can you believe how big and old they have gotten!!!!