I met Grace while volunteering in Cora's kindergarten classroom. She had long brown hair that seemed permanently tangled and deep-set hazel eyes. Empty eyes. Hollow eyes. Eyes that never made contact with mine. She rarely spoke and when she did she would whisper with her head down, eyes forward. If you leaned towards her in an attempt to better hear her, she would immediately move away from you.
She peed her pants at least twice a day. It was so routine that she no longer mentioned it to the teacher. She just grabbed a spare set from her backpack, bagged up her soiled clothing and quietly sat back down.
She did not know how to use a pair of scissors or write her name. She did not interact with the other students and would stare blankly at the wall while Cora's teacher gave instructions.
But Grace was not dumb. Cora's teacher knew that. The daily aides that worked with her one-on-one knew that. I knew that. She was learning. Soaking up every bit of information presented to her. She was smart.
Her file said otherwise. A child of the foster system; passed from "mother" to "mother."
Her test scores said otherwise. Grace was below average. Grace could not keep pace with grade level. Grace was failing.
Grace said otherwise. "I can't," she would repeat when asked to identify numbers. "I can't," she would say when quizzed on letter sounds. But, as I learned on Monday, she could.
Monday was Grace's last day in Cora's class. She was being placed with another foster family out of district boundaries. Grace softly told me her old mother decided she couldn't keep that house anymore and so it was best for Grace "to be in a new better house with a great big swing and a new mother." And then, while I was giving her an exit exam, she proceeded to identify every letter and correctly make the letter sound. She identified every written number through 20, and began counting and wouldn't stop. She made it to 140. I was floored, puzzled really.
During recess I showed the test results to Cora's teacher. She was not surprised. She had known all along Grace was smart, but she said sadly, she was a product of her environment. They did everything in their power to help her. They gave Grace individual attention. Coached her. Mentored her. Loved her. But nothing worked. Until she was told she was moving.
Each time Grace packed her suitcase, she came out of her shell. Even though she was told otherwise, Grace believed she was moving back home. To be with her real mother. Each time she arrived on a new doorstep, one not belonging to her real mother, she closed herself off to the world again.
I wanted to cry right there on that brightly-squared kindergarten carpet. Mostly for Grace, but also because I knew my daughters would never experience heartache like that.
I know I make mistakes as a parent. I always will. I know I am not patient enough. I never will be. I know I am not qualified to be a mother. I will forever feel inadequate. I know in 30 years I will look back with a fresh perspective and wonder why I made the choices I made as their mother. And I know I am not the only mother who feels like this. I have heard this spoken during playgroups. I have had this very phone conversation with my best friend. I have read this in blog posts.
Stop it. We need to stop beating ourselves up. You are enough. We are enough. Our children will never understand what Grace is going through. We have made that possible. In the midst of all of our screw ups, we have done something right.
My daughters are loved. They are loved by people who not only show it, but say it. Over and over. They have and will always have two parents who think they hang the moon. They will always have a mother stuffing homework folders in their classrooms and a father who spends endless hours kicking a soccer ball around with them. They will always have warm clothes and enough food and someone to read them a goodnight story. They will never have to pack a suitcase.
We are doing something right. Please believe that.
20 comments:
You were touched by an angel. She just doesn't know that she is an angel. We can only hope that one day she realizes this.
Wow. I'm really speechless. My heart is aching for that little girl.
You wrote about it beautifully. But I am still sitting with tons to say but not knowing how to express the appreciation I have for my own life.
She is lucky little girl to have had such a wonderful experience for that short bit at your daughter's school.
Hopefully she will find a positive in her life and latch on to that.
You have just further encouraged me to consider adopting or fostering!
THIS is why I banned my husband from telling me about the children he works with. I can handle the sad adult tales, but the children. Oh, my. Those stories break my heart and make me want to adopt every child in the world.
I had to (?) watch some videos with Ty last week for one of his classes, and they were AWESOME. Brain development, and all that. I am thinking of posting about it, but afraid it's too controversial - hells bells, Valentine's Day about caused my readers to raise an army against me. Suffice it to say, I now feel a little better about the kind of mother I am - simply because I'm at home with my children (I know, heaven forbid we stay-at-homers ever flaunt it as a legitimate point on the mothering score card...but it's true).
Was that coherent?
This brakes my heart
My husband, Dylan, and I were out eating dinner one night, and suddenly Dylan said in the saddest voice, "Oh no!" I asked him what was wrong. There was a little boy (about 8) sitting at a table by himself (his mom was at the salad bar), and Dylan said, "That boy doesn't have a mommy or a daddy!" It was the saddest thing he could think of.
I worked for Head Start in a bad area for a year and there are stories of children WITH parents, (horrible ones) that still haunt me.
This made my heart hurt. It made me want to cry and scream in anger all at the same time. I want to yell at her mother, I want to yell at the system...I want to make it right. I want to ask her mother why she even had children...
I want to hug this girl so tight and take away all the pain for her.
I want to make sure this never happens to my child. Never.
whoa. amber...
heartbreaking. truly. and yet, like always, you manage to make me feel like the best mother in the world (and that's a big deal!). you are absolutely right...our kids have it all. there are the things we screw up on, but that's what makes us human. i say this to you, i type this, too, but there is still that part of me that doubts my mothering every day. i count my mistakes every day. but...perhaps THAT in itself makes me a good mom.
Thanks for sharing something that hits home. My cousins kid is in the system, probably always will be. I wonder if this is what his life is like. Thanks for you words, thoughts, enlightenment and perspective.
I myself, was a foster child. I have contemplated writing about it. Mostly because I feel that even on my 'worst days' of parenting, my kids still lead a blessed life. Maybe I will get the courage to write about it soon....
Thanks for sharing. Truely hard to take in but also touching.
nice job Amber. Our kids are truly blessed. I hope that Grace does come home soon. To that home where she can stay.
Wow, thanks for this Amber. I was feeling like a crap mom because I don't have time to volunteer in Anna's class because of work. My heart is hurting now for that sweet girl...
I am in tears and just went and gave Presley the biggest hug ever! Thank you for being you.
I am so blessed to have stumbled upon your blog... and in tears from your story. Thank you for writing about Grace. I will be praying for her! I used to work with 'high-risk' children 5 and under. It was too heartbreaking for me because I couldn't take them home with me and because I had my own special needs children whom I am all he has. I have beat myself up a lot for my mistakes as a mom; esp. my youngest who has been through so much, include 5 schools before I finally found a good one for him.
They are all 3 grown now and terrific young men. They tell me I did a good job and I guess I did ok! I miss them and I want to take Grace home with me!!! I agree she is an angel who has touched even more hearts because you wrote this story. Thank you again!
Hugs,
Coreen
www.velvetoversteel.blogspot.com
My heart feels sadness for Grace... poor little monkey. I pray she is granted a wonderful home....
Just Jenn
PS... you are right! we are!
I am going to pray for little grace.
Amber this just so completely broke my heart, John and I want to adopt kids, its so hard to hear about Grace but she added a bit of grace to your life and mine already. We have already started paperwork and we are praying for the right little person to end up in our home. I was hoping to email you if it would be okay??!! But I didnt see any contact info. Thank you for writing so beautifully.
Poor sweet baby girl. You are so right though, you are doing something right! It's so easy to look back and feel mommy guilt isn't it?
can I just say that I loved your sweet comment? It completely blessed my heart today and made me smile. You are a darling.
Blessings,
Sasha
I know of a situation that I have no way of helping. I think about the little boy often, and wonder why some children are so blessed and others have to endure. It is something I find hard to reconcile in this life.
Thank you for posting this.
Dana
What a heart wrenching story. So many kids suffer from broken homes or working parents who are never around. No wonder the family unit is so important. Your kids are lucky!
Post a Comment