I'm not sure what I want this blog to be when she grows up (that's right, I said "she." Because let's face it. Shes are just more lovey and emotional and understanding. I want her to be all those things). When I started it, I wanted my blog to take the place of that sadexcuseforascrapbook that still sits empty in Cora's closet. And she does that. I am able to record their pictures, milestones, silly sayings. And my family logs on from all parts of the country to witness two of their favorite little girls growing up. Which makes them feel not so far away. Which makes them happy. Which makes me happy.
So one day when my friend Krista told me about Google Analytics, it peeked my curiosity. But her suggestion came with a warning: be prepared to be disappointed by how many people are reading compared to how many are actually commenting. I told her my blog was our family blog, so I suspected there might be like 10 readers. And of those 10 readers, 5 of them are family members who don't even know how to leave comments regardless of how many times they have been taught (love you Mom!).
I input my info and was all set to see how many people visited my little ol' blog. 24 hours of waiting later (and not patiently I might add) it spit out a report. On the day I posted Tell Me I'm Pretty, I had 172 unique hits to my blog. Which might not be a big number to most of you. I mean 172 people visit the Pioneer Woman every other second, but 172 people for me. Well. Wait? I don't even know 172 people. Was that right? It was.172 people read that post. And for a split second I was kind of happy.
Until I realized that of those 172 people only 6 had left a comment. 6 out of 172. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that comment to viewer ratio is pathetic. And it bothered me.
Did my writing stink?
Was my topic uninteresting?
Was my blog a big ol' pile of mush?
The irony was that particular post was about having an "I suck," day. And I started having one.
Because although originally I thought my blog was a family historian, it has blossomed into more. Which I didn't even realize recently when having a conversation with this gal about this post. I still thought I was blogging for my family. For my daughters. And I am. But me too. And me mostly.
This is where I vent. Hash through things. Throw up my insecurities and tell dumb stories and seek much needed advice. This blog is very much about me.
Stands to reason then that it took a little puff out of my sail when I realized only 3.5% of you comment (you see, I'm a mathlete. Yep, mathletic. So I can do percentages in my sleep. And now you know).
Pathetic how a comment can make us do a little happy dance. Make us feel important. Ah, the little things in life.
39 comments:
I did it! (It only took three tries.) Aren't you proud of me! Did it make you do a "happy dance"? Did you make up that word "mathlete"?
By the way, I think you are an amazing mother and writer!
Love you,
Mom XOXO
You better start advertising, sista'! I am part of the elite 3.5% Waa Hoo!
I sometimes don't always comment on blogs when I snoop because I think they won't like knowing that a random stranger is peeking into their life. Or they wont get my humor, or I will offend them, or, or, or. Silly, I know. Especially when they don't have a PRIVATE blog.
First off, your mom commenting on this post is so adorable! (Good for you, Amber's mom! My mom still doesn't understand how to do it).
Second, I'm going to let you in on THE blogging secret, (in my opinion). The people you comment on will comment on yours. It has very little to do with good/bad writing. That being said, I am enjoying your writing. I'm also enjoying your commenting, so keep it up!
Love your writing (I think we all wish we had so much as a sliver of your talent!) To be honest, I'm too self conscious to comment very often. I think I'll say something ridiculous....use grammatical errors...make no sense....or just want to ditto what the other 'guys' say. I suppose I could just write 'ditto' when it works and call it good. Blog away girl! I LOVE to read it!
I totally understand the commenting thing. I really don't know how many people even look at my blog anymore, and frankly, I have given up caring cause it makes me depressed to think that no one like me, my family and that we are boring (even though we are and I know it). I write so that we have a history to look back to, but I try not to bring out the depressed side in me cause I really don't want those who will read these things to think that I had a bad life, even though, like everyone else, I have my days. I like your blog, sometimes, I wish I could make mine a little more like yours. If I don't comment, it's cause for some reason, I think that you would get tired of hearing from me. Thanks for sharing your life, your daughters life and keeping a smile on my face. I sincerly mean that.
I use to have one of those tracking maps and people from all over the world were visiting my blog. I recently received a comment on one of my posts from one of Andy's former serious girlfriends from college saying she stopped in every now and again and hoped I didn't mind (which, of course I could care less about). I must admit, I do read but don't always post a comment. Sometimes I'm worried my comments will not be clever enough or express what I am thinking after reading your incredible posts.
Oh, and a quick favor to ask of your awesome mom: Hop on over to the orchard and teach my folks. It may take more than 3 tries, though.
Ohhh, you speak my mind. I'm at a crossroads...keep up the scrapbook or step up to something more? Heaven forbid I should put a piece of my heart into the family blog-that I think only Grandma's and you plus a few actually read.
I always love reading your posts-I feel like we're still cruising around in the Altima having good conversation. I really, really miss that so thanks. Good friends are hard to find and it's a fun way to stay mingled. Absolutely necessary in my world.
PS. Of course you're pretty, never doubt-ever.
WORD!
Can I say that? That might have made me seem lame!
I TOTALLY AGREE! It gets so frustrating when I post something that I think is interesting (I guess because it has to do mostly with my kids or fam) and then no one says anything...like you said, "did my writing stink?"
So thank you for reaching out and letting me know that you were out there in the blogosphere reading and leaving me a comment! It truly made my day!
Love the mathematician stuff! Do you get a kick out of Fibonacci? I do :)
I might not comment on every post, but I DO read them all. Sometimes I just don't have anything interesting to comment. Your blog is by far my favorite blog to read. Whenever there's a new post on your blog, I just get so excited. And then I wish I could write as well as you.... but I never will. I'm a mathmatician too by the way. Kindred spirits. If only we would have stayed in Boise.......
I always knew you were popular Amber! Although I've been a blog slacker lately, I do read most of your posts. My sister who has never met you does too! However, I with my lowly writing skills don't always have something witty to comment back at your entertaining stories. Miss you chica...and still thinking about that interesting email you sent me!
Amber - know that you are one of my favorite blogs to read! And, usually,after reading a perfectly written post, about ANYTHING, the last thing I want to do is comment with my badly written English.
but again...I LOVE to read your posts. You are so talented! Please don't stop!!!
I'm sorry I don't always comment...usually it is because two little lovelies are yelling at me to hurry up...like they are right this minute...you know I love you girl, and your writing too!!
Impressive! 1. You are a mathlete. 2. That is alot of hits! And I don't have a three but.
I can't use the google analyzer thing because I don't blog through Google but I figure that there are about 25 hits on my blog and about 20 of them are me looking for comments. I feel so pitiful sometimes! But I feel like it is a form of socializing for me and Lord knows I can socialize! :)
I love your blog and have sent it to several of my friends! :)
You are an amazing blogger! Thanks for sharing your life with so many even though there are not many comments.
I agree with Rozel that I often check strangers blogs (and have come to 'know' them but don't leave a comment because I dont' want them to think I am stalking them (which I am blog stalking them and they just don't know it!))
:)
Enough rambling! Keep it up!
Amber, I really like your blog. You are real and a bit tongue-in- cheek and I really like that.
Thanks for leaving comments on mine too! By the way, I think I only really do only have 10 readers. Of course mine is private... :)
Amyjoy
Amber you are an amazing woman! I am so jealous of how you can write, your math skills, your intelligence, your beauty and what a great person you are. I only wish I could be as cool as you (SERIOUSLY)...so I will just live vicariously through you!!!
I LOVE IT! I LOVE THAT YOU LOVE THE F MAN!!!
You are great!!! I'm at school at recess...LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!
Thanks for that :)
I visit your blog but I don't always comment...but I'll do better! It's weird how those numbers can make you feel. But keep writing...you're doing awesome!
Hey, I check your blog every time you post! I think you are an amazing writer therefore I am intimidated to post a comment because my writing is quite inferior to yours. None the less I do enjoy all your little stories. There is nothing like not feeling alone.
i know exactly how you feel. I get an average of 100 hits per day and some of my posts have 0 comments.
just want you to know i love your writing, and your perspective. and i'm guilty of not always commenting but i think you're pretty awesome!
I feel ya, sista'. I had a counter on my blog for about a week, and took it off because I was so frustrated that I didn't know WHO was reading (made me a little self-conscious), and what they thought. The jerks.
Were you in Mr. Conides' class with me? Did you take double math classes with me? I hope you were serious about the mathlete thing, because it makes me feel so "kindred" (even though I couldn't tell you the difference between the Pythagorean theorem and cough syrum now that I've had children and my brain has liquified...but back in the day, baby. Do you know I won a state math competition in Payette? Same year I won a state writing competition...let me just toot my own horn for a while now).
But enough about ME. Who do I think I am, anyway?
I'm so vain. But you already knew that.
I'm back. I just read Michelle's comment and noticed that she said, "sista'", too. How embarrassing...But kinda' kindred.
I'll let you in on a little secret--the more readers you have, the fewer comments you will get (if you do the percents and such). There's a lot of reasons it tends to happen, but some of the big ones are: 1) Some people will only comment if you comment at their site. Who has time to keep up with those kinds of games? 2) There is a preconception that if a site has a lot of readers, the author doesn't care about comments. Not true, but people think it. 3) People who leave comments sometimes are looking for something in return (beyond a comment at their site).
If you want to know the truth, the silent readers who ask nothing in return are pretty amazing. They are just hear to listen and enjoy. :-)
Okay so I have to admit it depends on what pc I am on to be able to comment on your wonderful posts. Example: my work computer is very unforgiving when it comes to blogs...
HAPPY COMMENTING!
Even though we were barely friends in high school, I check your blog DAILY! There are days that I just need a whitty Amber pick me up. It makes me feel so much better to know there is someone out there that I "know" that can put into words the EXACT things I am going through. There are a few of my mommy friends that I have shared your posts with, but I wasn't sure if it was an ok thing to do. Now though - watch out! Better be checking those numbers....oh and getting some advertising money. :)
Okay, I read your blog. There. Now you know. I would feel like a stalker if I commented because we've never met (or if we did you were like 12). But I think you are awesome because Andrea thinks you're awesome and I love your blog. I may have been one of the 172 (that's a LOT of readers!).
I love your blog missy!!! I dont get nearly as many hits in a day! I love how you write, you style is awesome, and you always have something worth sitting and reading. Lately I have been too busy...its not normal for me but my hunny has been gone a lot so I have quite a bit to do. I really appreciate you though, and thank you for taking time out of your day to visit me too!
This is the first time I've visited your blog, and the topic is interesting. My little family blog has had over 14000 hits in one year, which is baffeling to me. But then, you never do know who is reading your blog. I was talking to someone I didn't know very well and mentioned something personal and she said, "Oh, yeah, I remember reading something about that on your blog." I thought, for real? How do you even know that I have a blog? So, obviously more people read and are aware than comment. But I almost always leave comments when I read a post. Just like I'm doing now. :)
so glad that you stopped by over at my place! i'll comment here any old day of the week... especially for a mathlete and somebody who says i have a cute face! i'll be back around... and from the looks of it... you've managed to get some people out of the woodwork here!
I love your blog and every little thing you write about!! I was a blog stalker for almost a year before I conjured up the courage to leave a comment for the first time. I'm sure that's the case with the other 96.5% of your readers. BTW...172 readers is awesome!!
I have had the very same realization about comments vs. viewers! Crazy huh?
Sorry I never comment! I always read your blog, and when I see you've done a new post I get excited!!
btw and totally off topic, I soo didnt judge your lack of snowflake study, thats why I wanted to post it! because I know its not something people get to see!! But still I snorted and laughed a little because I saw your hubby getting whacked with a snowball
I so relate to what you are saying... I found myself manic with the numbers at times. Obsessive. So, now I just figure sometimes it might move someone or might make them say, "who is this chick?" Many times, I sneak to my computer for a minute, check a blog/two and have to hightail it before I can leave a comment. But I do know how comments make one feel. I am going to do better at leaving a comment more often. I ADORE your blog by the way.:)
We've had lots going on lately and I am sure you know that I read every post of yours but don't always comment. It's been tough enough existing in the real world let alone finding time for cyberspace as well.
I love your blog. You inspire me. I love you!
your blog is the blog that will one day pierce the heavens. I just know it.
word verification is brants....is that like brad's pants?
I found your blog today from someone else's. I thought this post was interesting. I think we all feel a bit of this. LOL with your mom in not knowing how to post and how cute that she was then the first to post and thought you made up the verification word....gotta love our moms!
It looks like you got your comments. :) I understand wanting to see comments. I love seeing comments and none of my family members leave them. I've even posted directions on how to do it. Congrats on your 172 people - I'm sure that number will only multiple (and quickly I'd bet) from here. :)
Not gonna lie, I read it often, and comment infrequently. Maybe it's because we've only met once and I think it's a little awkward? I adore your little family though, and wish Desi updated her blog as often as you.
Secret be told, since I don't look at (or update forthatmatter) my blog very often, when I do I only keep up on my very favorite blogs. Yours, Amber, is one of my favorites. Whenever your blog is at the top of my stalker list, I stalk. Awkward again? Maybe.
Sometimes I write out a comment and then erase it because I'm scared I sound like an idiot. Even, if I don't comment every time, I love your blog! And getting that many visitors (its a ton!) is just a testament to your writing!
Ditto Sharlee. Have we met? I used to live in Payette - I'm Kym's cousin & Andrea's old friend. Anyway, love your blog. I'll have to delurk more often to let you know. :)
Post a Comment