January 28, 2010

Tell me I'm pretty

I go through phases where I think I suck at everything. I feel inferior and ugly and inadequate and small (and not in like a size zero sort of way because, well, I birthed some babies and these hips ain't ever gonnna be a size zero. Ever). And when that happens, even an entire gallon of Chubby Hubby (about that size zero-hmmm?) and an 80's movie marathon can't fix it.

But you know what can? This memory I have from umpteen years ago. It was my freshman year of college and I was a dorky hostess at a popular chain restaurant. It had been a long day. My feet were sore and my pants were too tight and I missed my momma. I was having one of those "I suck" days.

I was positioned at the hostess stand when a girl of maybe 8 walked by searching for the bathroom. She asked, I answered and she continued on her way. Then she paused and doubled back. She walked right up to me and said, "you are very pretty." And then promptly walked away.

I wanted to hug her and never let her go. She was my favorite person on earth. Sometimes, she still is.

Because she made me feel pretty.

I think I glowed for the rest of my shift. And then I made it a point for the next few days to compliment strangers. I told a cashier at Basket Robbins (anyone else noticing a pattern here) that she had beautiful eyes. She told me no one had ever told her that before. She probably thought I went to bat for the other team, because who says that? Seriously. Is it even socially acceptable to go up to complete strangers and compliment them?

Well it should be. Because it made me feel like a million bucks and I wanted someone else to know how that felt.  I should really do it more often. And so should you. Tomorrow, go out and compliment 5 strangers and see what happens. I'm not kidding. Try it. Let me know how it goes. Did you feel like a dork? A stalker? A saint?

My guess is that regardless of how it made you feel, the person on the other end, the person that just might be feeling inferior and ugly and inadequate and small will always remember you. Because you made them feel pretty.

7 comments:

Tawny said...

I just read something similar on one of my friends blogs...she went to Starbucks and the person in front of her bought her drink, and so then she bought the one after...she had said that it just made her day.
That is a great idea! I try to do that to a different student in my class each day, say, "oh, neat shoes", or "really great job on that math test". It is so cute to see how they light up and have a noticeably different day. But let me tell you, I need it too some days!
Thanks for your comment about your bed buddies. I really want to go to a shooting range and learn how to handle a gun.
Okay, now all your friends that comment on this are going to think I'm NUTS! LOVE IT!

Jen said...

I do that all the time, and I do get some "what team do you play for" looks sometimes. But, I also get some smiles and eyes lighting up that makes the other looks totally worth it. A recent favorite was when we ate at Denny's and there was a single mom eating with her 3 small kids. She was doing a stellar job of making sure they all ate, and somehow managed to eat herself, and keep the crazy mommy look out of her eyes. As we left, I told her, "You are amazing, and you are doing a great job with your kids". Her eyes got teary! It was an awesome moment.

I also love to give people coupons - at the grocery store, Babies R Us, restaurants. Sometimes I get the "what's your angle" look. Other times, a look of complete astonishment. Either way, totally fun. Great post!

Lil' Stormster said...

I am a tried and true passer on-er of compliments. And I mean them! You are right, everyone deserves to feel good!

Andrea said...

Because I'm shallow, I usually complement women on their wedding rings. What can I say? I love rings. And I love all the compliments I've received on mine. Plus, something like a ring is easier for me to point out than a body feature for some reason. It seems less stalker-ish. But I'm definitely going to make a concentrated effort to pay more compliments, cause like you said, it just might make someone's day!


p.s. the other day I went to the pharmacy, and the cashier looked me up and down, smiled, and said, "You always have on such cute, stylish clothes!" I was so impressed that she even remembered me, let alone that she noticed my clothes (cause honestly sometimes I wonder why I bother, since the only places I go are the grocery store and the pharmacy). It made me feel pretty good. Although now I have to make sure I look good every time I go in there, just in case she's watching. :)

Andrea said...

Also, you ARE pretty, dingo.

verification word: prechita - The Spanish feminine form of precious. Which you are.

Dingo.

Cat said...

This is one of my favorite things to do. My mother is a master "appreciator" and also as a true Southern, told us "the definition of "charming" is someone who makes you think you're both wonderful." Aside from the weird guy that told me I had attractive toes, compliments from strangers always brighten my day because, as an insecure adult, I can know they don't have anything to gain by lying to me. :) And you ARE pretty. I've always thought you had the coolest eyes ever.

Michelle said...

You are very reflective lately . . .I like it!

I have always liked your hair and your eyes(and your cookies that you bake)!

Complemento el numro uno!