January 07, 2010

The best medicine

A few days after Christmas I opened the fridge. It was bare. When my crazy Italian family gets together, we eat. And eat. It's not pretty. I'm not gonna lie. My thighs are still suffering.

But back to that fridge.

The weather was crappy. The roads were worse. And my kids were channeling some sort of wild howling beasts. But, a shopping trip was unavoidable.

We ventured out into the frigid, snowy yuck. Bad idea. Living on cold cereal would have been a better alternative. That hour at the grocery store was one of the longest in recent memory.

There were tantrums (by them). And meltdowns (by me). And when it was over, we were all sobbing. And starving. So I veered the car into the closest restaurant I could find: Applebees. Given the blizzard-like conditions, most sane people had locked themselves indoors. We were their only customers.

I shoveled food into their mouths as fast as I could, eager to get the check and get back home to enforce mandatory naps for all. As we finished our meal, another couple entered the restaurant, and although every other seat in the place was wide open, they sat them in the booth next to us.

And for some reason my girls thought having "neighbors" was hilarious. They started giggling. They couldn't stop. I was muzzling mouths and using threatening tones. Nothing worked.

They giggled louder. Deep belly laughs. Whole bodies shaking. Uncontrollable.

And then the man in the next booth started laughing. And then his wife. And then all of the servers gathered round the bar as they patiently waited for tip-bearing patrons began to chuckle.

It spread like wildfire. No one knew why they were laughing. But no one could stop it. The man in the booth next to me was in tears. One of the bartenders snorted. And that just added fuel to the fire. We laughed for a good 5 minutes. And looking around that restaurant, I could sense it was the best 5 minutes most of us had experienced in awhile.

When I was able to regain composure, I paid the check and gathered my children. As we passed the booth next to us the man touched my arm and said, "My wife and I are unexpectedly pregnant with our first. Thanks for reassuring us that kids are a blessing."

I paused, tempted to tell him about the worrying and the crying and the lack of sleep and the fighting and the tantrums and the loss of sanity. Instead I smiled, agreed with him and said, "They are the joys of my life."

Because when they giggle, it fixes everything. It erases all the long nights and the struggles to get them to use the big-girl potty and the constant battle to clean the playroom. Their laughter really does make everything better. I needed him to know that. That's the important part of parenting. The rest he will learn along the way.

13 comments:

Krista said...

This is great!!! And might I add that you are so incredibly brave for taking two kids out to a sit down restaurant by yourself!!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

WONDERFUL WORDS! You say it so well!

Rachel said...

I am in tears (about to get my period also so that may have something to do with it.) This is beautiful Amber. Really. I wish they would have done this at Olive Garden. Brad and The Law could gather around and laugh too!

Andrea said...

That is so sweet - and I do not bestow that word indiscriminately!

I am afraid that most public appearances involving me and my children might lead such couples as these to the nearest adoption agency...not to adopt children because they can't wait nine months, but because they do not want anything to do with raising a child.

I need to make a conscious effort to enjoy my blessings, cause they really are awesome. And I need to remember that people are watching.

Laura C. said...

I needed this reminder today.

Thanks!

feather said...

isn't that just the stinkin' truth? laughter fixes everything. i always say God knew what he was doing when he made babies. They can really piss us off and make us crazy, but one smile, or hug, or fit of laughter reminds us instantly why we love them so. and it saves their asses from craigslist, too! that laughter always comes in the nick of time, doesn't it?
i love this story for so many reasons. i love your set-up, your use of imagery, your ending. you are so good at finding beautiful endings. i do believe you are a glass-half-full kind of gal. i love that in a friend.

Shaun & ShawnnaLea said...

What a great story!

Pam said...

thanks for making me cry...and realize once again how blessed I am to be a mom.

Kristin said...

Goodness sakes. You make me get all teary-eyed. :)

Jill said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Beautiful post! and SO TRUE!
Blessings!
Jill

Jana said...

what a great story, I had tears in my eyes, the photography, the sweet beautiful family, your words and your sense of humor, these things miss Amber are anything but ordinary!!! thanks so much for visiting me today, made my very late morning!!

Michelle said...

Rock on! I miss giggling with my sisters. I haven't giggled in eons! Glad your day was brighter.

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

This is such a great post!! And you are such a great writer!