We are a together family. It's how we function. Minus a few classes taught at the gym (for sanity's sake), I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom. My husband works 4 nights in a row and then has 3 days off. Graveyards might not be the ideal shift for most families, but because my freak of a husband chooses that shift, we make it work. He is home to see the girls off to school in the morning and tucks them in every night before he leaves for work.
We have dinner as a family most nights, date nights and family nights once a week, and the occasional guy's poker night or girl's night out gets sprinkled in the mix. And aside from prelims, jury trials and rifle qualifications, our weekly schedule remains consistent. Predictable.
We spend a lot of time together. And we like it like that.
While I have the utmost respect for military wives, single parents and spouses of work-related frequent fliers, I'm not built that way. I can't function for long (or even short) periods of time without my side-kick husband. I know it makes me needy. Pathetic, really. But it's who I am.
My girls are the same way. They miss their daddy something fierce when he's gone. Like he has been. For two days now. Because he's a punk and ditched us to go snowboarding with the guys. I know, rude, right?
So I've been flying solo. And I just can't get it together. The house is trashed. The girls have been living on cold cereal and hot dogs (gag). I've been screaming. A lot. Like scary monster mommy screams. And I'm at the end of my wits.
But my daughters didn't care. They still felt I needed to hug them and play Candyland with them and refold the 7 loads of already folded laundry that they unfolded. And feed them. I know, demanding, right?
So I tried. I made their lunch. And not from a box. And then I opened the fridge to grab the milk. The milk that had been there at breakfast. The gallon that was still half full (the grump in me is screaming HALF EMPTY, HALF EMPTY). The milk that could not have vanished into thin air. The milk that I found here:
Uncle. Uncle. UNCLE.
16 comments:
I'm built the same way. I like when we're all together under one roof. I don't think it's needy or pathetic, just the truth. On very few occasions my hubby goes out of town with the boys and we end up living in our pj's, eating muffins for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not sure why, since he's never home for two of those meals anyway. Guess it's just the break in routine that changes it all up. I hope your milk was still cold!
I am laughing really hard right now! Not at you but with you. Come on! That was funny!
When I was pregnant, Scott often found things in the fridge that weren't supposed to be there...
Can you blame it on being pregnant?
I laugh also, but because of the image I get when I see you screaming, rofolding and playing. It sounds like our house. I have a friend who has been with out her husband 3 or 6 days of the week for the last 3 weeks. She said her key is to schedule up every last minute with anything possible and some how they get through the day. I couldn't do it. It was hard when Shawn was gone a lot, but now, it happens very seldom...and it is wonderful. Hope you get back to normal soom:)
I'm sorry that I'm laughing but I'm picturing all of this and I the scene that just played out in my head when you found that milk was absolutely hysterical.
I'm jealous of your schedule. It sounds wonderful. Shaun is at work Mondays & Wednesdays until 7:30pm so he doesn't get home until almost 8:30pm. And he leaves as I'm getting out of the shower everyday. He works all day on Saturdays and until 1pm on Sundays. I cherish those Sunday afternoons. And I try to cherish all the calls I get on Thursdays when he's off and I'm at work and he has a 1,000 questions. :)
I'm sure you survived much better than you think. And, I'm sure your husband will make it up to you because it sounds like from your other posts like he's a gem. Besides, just think of what they did to him when you went for your girl's night or whatever that little event was in the fall. I doubt he really told the truth about how "well" everything went - men don't admit that kind of thing. :)
p.s. I replied to your comment on my blog and then realized you might not go back to it. Oh well.
you always make me laugh!!! i love the kens' salad dressing in the pantry... it is way better than Kraft foods. I have finally stopped screaming, and crying every 5 minutes. Hang in there!
I feel your pain. I really really do!
This reminds me of hunting season. Yuck. Actually, I have to find a way to make it enjoyable or I just sulk and make life (more) miserable for everyone. This I discovered after only ten years. So now when I know Ty will be gone, I rent lots of movies, get lots of junk food, and we have movie nights (or days...depending on how motivated I feel). A LOT. We also take a lot of naps, and eat cold cereal for every meal. But I can only go three days at the MOST. After that, it's just Russian Roulette: someone could die at any moment.
Sooooooo remind me again, when's our trip? John's gone nearly every week to some crazy part of the country. I think I've earned a great outing and it sounds like you're up for an adventure, too!
i DON"T spend most of my time with my husband and i STILL go through what you are going through when he's gone. and he's gone often. like, two nights a week. i know that scary screaming mommy monster. too well. but remember that our kids are forgiving. apologize for your bad behavior. explain to them why you are struggling. they'll get it. they'll support you. they'll appreciate that you are a human.
now the milk thing, i can't help you with. once your memory starts to go...f'getit!
I've done that before with the milk. luckily I've always caught it before it's too late.
and I'm with you. JD's gone on an overnight campout with the scouts tonight and I'm going insane. he's been gone maybe 5 hours. he'll be home about lunchtime tomorrow. no big deal right? WRONG! totally big deal. things are just so much better when he's here.
AW muffin, your not pathetic, us military wives are forced and we arent pleasant when without our sidekicks, I think its great that you love being together! Okay as for the milk though....Ive sooo done that before. But I have to admit your version is
HI-larious compared to mine!
Oh my gravy! I sooooo get this. My husby and I seem to be unable to function without one another (ok, maybe it's me who can't function without him....I'll be honest). Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Seriously.
Oh my gravy! I sooooo get this. My husby and I seem to be unable to function without one another (ok, maybe it's me who can't function without him....I'll be honest). Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Seriously.
Is there something wrong with me, because I just laughed until I cried. No kidding. I'm going to stop reading for now, because nothing can top that at this point.
Okay I officially LOVE you! You so get it girlfriend. :)
I admit it, I AM needy!!! I am! I am, and I don't care who knows it! I need a man around here goshdarnit because I can't even open a bag of chips for myself. (Cause that was about all that was for dinner... plus a bowl of cereal.)
Ah life. Sometimes it sucks.
Oh no! what a crazy time for you. My husband works nights too and there are times I wish he was home more to help out and I only have one little boy (3). On the weekends I make him take over for a bit while I take a shower, do a little shopping (rarely) or find new blogs (like now). It will get better..it will!
Post a Comment