May 28, 2010

If you chance to meet a frown...

It was a rocky start to an incredible day.

Last night's anniversary dinner was delicious, but 5,000+ calories later and I was paying for it. In order to enjoy that dinner sans children, they were whisked away by a loving aunt/uncle combo, and spent an entire evening running wild through Chuck E. Cheese. Pumped full of pizza and sugar, we tucked them in hours after their bed time.

We all woke up grumpy, with food hangovers that could rival that of a 19 year old frat boy. It was a rough morning.

No one would get dressed or clean up their breakfast dishes or stop beating their sister.

Obviously, Mother Nature was in a foul mood as well because she decided the perfect time for a downpour was right in the middle of a highly anticipated preschool end-of-the-year picnic. Which we were late to and I forgot to pack lunches for. Things were not looking up, and soggy 3 year olds just made matters worse.

We returned home and mandatory naps were ordered for all. We silenced all phones and taped a note on the doorbell threatening the lives of any who chose to wake sleeping children. And then we all slept. All four of us. FOR THREE HOURS. It had never happened before and will probably never happen again. But.
It.
Was.
Awesome.

We got up. Made dinner. I biked/ran/swam. And then this:

Tooth fairy get your wings revved up, cause baby tooth #1 bit the dust tonight. After the blood cleared, we made a big deal about it and dragged Claire back out of bed and called Grandma and read a Tooth Tale. And while the whole house was hyper with excitement, I have never seen Cora so eager to get to bed.
So if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spot the Tooth Fairy a $5 (or a quarter? A $10? What IS the going rate for teeth these days?).

13 comments:

Andrea said...

How fun for Cora!!! We are still waiting on Anna's first one, but all of her friends at school are losing them. And a family 3-hour nap sounds pretty fab. Happy Anniversary!! And let me know what you ended up paying the TF...I'm not sure the going rate either! : )

feather said...

you are hilarious. always a good laugh from you. laughed and laughed over the downpour. great words, amber!
yours and mine both lost teeth this week. fun, right?! the tooth fairy in these parts leave two bucks for tooth number one and then random amounts there after. jaelyn's last few teeth have been awarded one quarter for each tooth lost. so number 8 recieved 8 quarters. you get?

Cat said...

My nephew lost a tooth and the tooth fairy gave him $2. Which is why, when his sister lost a tooth the next week he bought it from her for $1. That child will be going places.

First baby tooth. That's a milestone!

Cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lil' Stormster said...

Oh geez, I am envious of your nap... How sweet!

Jessica said...

The tooth fairy leaves my kids $1 per tooth. Unless she forgets to come.....

Unknown said...

Our tooth fairy is cheap. She leaves $1/tooth. Thank goodness my children have no concept of money, and think $1 is wealth untold. If it'll buy them something from the dollar store, they are happy.

Andrea said...

Sorry. "Tyrone" is my undercover name.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That's great for Cora! That three hour nap must have been wonderful! I know it has when it has happened to us...when it happened to us...that one time.

Anyhow, I hear the Tooth Fairy is paying a lot more these days. :-) Hold on to your wallet.

Amy Hall said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have caught up on my blog comments! Thanks for making me smile!!!!
As far as the Tooth Fairy goes, I think that whatever the Tooth Fairy has in her wallet is what she gives. Growing up, oddly enough, the Tooth Fairy always had quarters. I believed my parents and Noah is going to believe this too...?

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

that IS exciting news! in the southwest the tooth fairy leaves 2 bucks for the first tooth and then 1 dollar (in change) for all teeth there after.

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Whoa! We don't have that generous of a tooth fairy! $.50 is the going rate here. They like getting that because it is two "moneys" not just one paper one.
Such cute pictures!

Michelle said...

A quarter! You don't want to have to pay $10 for 20ish baby teeth. That is like $200. I say a quarter.

Congrats to Cora!
I am glad you all got a fabulous nap!
HAPPY anniversary!