I was in 7th grade when my friend Meghan Messer told me my mom was beautiful. Up to that point, the thought never crossed my mind. I had never paid attention to the bright blue eyes that Meghan pointed out. Those were just the eyes that met mine each morning as I stumbled out of bed. I had never noticed anything pretty about them; I just knew that they were always there to greet me.
My mom is beautiful. I know that now. But growing up she was my mom first, pretty second. And the first kind of trumped the second. Which might not seem right, but I believe is exactly as it should be.
As a mother now myself, I appreciate so much more who my mom is, how she raised me. I also just really enjoy her. She's quirky without being quirky at all. It's a perfect way to be.
My mom is not funny. At all. But we probably laugh more because of her than anyone else in our family. Once every few years she will say something funny. Like really funny. And while we will laugh at what was said, our laughter is mainly directed at how proud she is to have made a joke. She even tries to hide her laughter when she thinks it might be getting out of control. Just soundless shoulder shakes and body heaves. My siblings and I do everything we can to coax that kind of laugh out of her. To witness it is a kind of funny I can't make you understand.
My mother can't take pictures. At all. But we love it when she does. Memories are best captured in our family with headless/armless photos. Or with 2 second video clips when she was "taking" a picture, "Say cheese. Wait. It's not working. Why isn't it working?"
My mother can't cook. At all. But she has managed to perfect the art of adding. Make Mac 'n Cheese. Stir in additional ingredient. Provide family with well balanced meal. Mac 'n Cheese + greens beans = well balanced meal. Mac 'n Cheese + hot dogs = well balanced meal. In her defense, we always had a vegetable on our plate. And she used to bake the most delicious homemade bagels/pretzels/bread. Who needs to know how to cook when you can serve up carb heaven like that?
My mother can't be mean. At all. She won't gossip, even though we try hard to make her. She befriends those who are friendless for a reason. She invites strangers to her dinner table. She serves endlessly, even when she is exhausted and has little time to serve herself.
And she has a secret crush on Tom Select.
Now do you get why I love her so much?


6 comments:
yes, i can see why you love her. your post makes me want to meet her in person. see her not be funny. really? not funny? how did you get so stinkin' funny then? i love that you point out what she can't do, and how that makes her so much more special and wonderful.
I love your mom too. She was a great friend to my mom, and that meant a lot to me! We still talk about her! And I had to smile at all the things you said about her. I think your house was the first time I experienced mini wienies (i think that's what you called them). Thanks for sharing!
Oh and Meghan Messer!!! I haven't heard that name i'm forever!!!
I concur. She always believed I could do or be anything I wanted to. She never pried into my life, just lived great by example, and that makes me want to be nice and good like her. Love you mom!
So my shoulders are shaking and my body is heaving as I'm reading this!
Thank you Amber. It was a very sweet and perfect Mother's Day gift.
And how did you know about me and Tom Selleck (who's on TV as I'm typing this)?
Happy Mother's Day to you, too!
Love, Mom XOXO
My mom has a secret crush on Tom Selleck too! What was that show he was on? I think your mom is a very good sport!
I love this! You did such a great job of sharing your Mom with us and she sounds AWESOME!!!! :D
Post a Comment