I work out 5 days a week, but I still have back fat (and no Victoria, contrary to what all of your blackly dressed sales reps say, a proper fitting bra is not the "secret.").
I eat fruits & veggies & lean protein, but I still have bat wings (you know the arm pit fat that is the only thing coming between you and that rad tube top you've been eyeing).
I crossed the finish line of a triathlon on them, but my legs have so much cellulite it would make Richard Simmons weep.
I have scars where babies were birthed and scars from cancer scares and scars from A&W mug inflicted stitches. I have stretch marks from the "freshman 50" (oh that was supposed to be the freshman 15? And why didn't anyone tell me?) and stretch marks from being pregnant for 10 ridiculous months and stretch marks in places where the sun don't shine and where it does.
Fluorescently-lit dressing rooms are not my friend. Neither are bikinis. But I (I'll pause while you stop reading mom) bought one. No yellow polka dots, but a bikini nonetheless. And I wore it. Lunch gut, white belly and all. And I was self-conscious the entire time. But I did it anyway.
Because I'm not getting lipo. Because I'm not getting a boob job (while I am crazy jealous of those of you whose boobs will still look perky in 25 years thanks to a skilled surgeon, it's just not my thing). Because I'm not getting botox or fewer wrinkles or any younger. But mostly because I endlessly preach to my daughters about loving ourselves just as we are, while I cringe at a full-length mirror. It's an absurd double standard that just needs to end.
My husband loves me, lights on and all. High time I did too.
11 comments:
I applaud you, but I simply do not have the strength at to follow suit (get it?) at this time.
Although, I will say that looking around at the pool this week, I was thinking "Wow! If that lady... and that one...and that one can wear a bikini, why can't I?
Good for you!!! It would be a huge step for me to get past the stretch marks, but maybe someday...
You are beautiful and I know you worked the swim suit!
You go girl!
So funny you posted this. I have a half written post that is very similair. You inspire me daily. You're beautiful and should be so proud of the example you are setting for you girls.
You are hilarious, and way to hard on your self. Love this post.
you are so right!!! i'm tired of hating my body. ya know? it works and really, what more can i ask for?
amber- can you let me know if you still want onesies for the soon to be, or probably already born, twins. i can't make something or send something i have if it works for their gender. just let me know cause i'd really like to give a little bit of love to that momma. thanks friend!
that was supposed to say i CAN make something or send one that is already created.
just wanted to clarify that so you didn't think i lost my ever loving mind. :)
As always--I LOVE to read your posts! I have a fitness CD with that song (Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikine) It's my girls' favorite! We listen to it all the time in the car!
Hi, I just found your blog and am now a follower, hope you don't mind.
I think it's awesome of you to go ahead and wear that bikini and I bet you look great. When you are 80 and look at pictures of yourself, if you didn't wear that bikini you would think... what in the world was wrong with me, I looked HOT! and yes you are the example you are setting for your girls is a gift.
Amen! I am sure you look perfect in your itsy bitsy. Plus have you seen some of the girls who sport the itsy bitsy and I KNOW you look way better than they do. I envy their confidence.
Post a Comment