November 28, 2010

Because sometimes M.A.S.H. lies

In the middle of a deserted lot in Arizona you will find a massive heap of scrap metal. One particular metal scrap is about the size of my garage door. If a strip mall hasn't been built on top of it, that piece of metal would tell you that "S.P. hearts A.H. FOREVER."

It took S.P. about a week to carve his love proclamation to the world. To him, it was his way of assuring me that while most junior high relationships couldn't survive the duration of his 3 month grounding, ours could. It was the real deal. It was, as the scrap metal indicated, forever.

I haven't seen S.P. since 1993. In my defense, at 13, 2 weeks certainly does seem like forever. And if I had remained true to S.P. via handwritten, Malibu Musk-scented notes as he suggested, that would not have allowed me to begin "going out" with his best friend J.F.

This Thanksgiving I find myself more grateful then ever for all of the S.P.s and J.F.s I lived through. I am thankful for every ridiculous relationship, every missed opportunity, every misstep I have ever taken. Because of all of them, I have this:
 Because all of the whatifs in my life never materialized, I have them:
Because I've made a bunch of decisions I questioned at the time, I get to be their mother:
I know now that every turn I've ever taken has lead me to them:
And while Mrs. S.P. had a certain ring to it as I practiced it on the back of my Trapper Keeper, I think I'll take this forever any day.

15 comments:

Krista said...

Such a cute family - the pictures capture you guys perfectly!!

Amy Hall said...

What a gorgeous family! You all really do look like you have happiness beaming from the bottom of your hearts :).

Rachel said...

Oh how I love you and your family! You're blessed. I think you forgot that you could still be Mrs. J.K. and I am going to be Mrs. J.M.

:)

DANIELDOOZ said...

It's a beautiful life! I was just thinking about a few of my own 'what if scenarios' and am VERY grateful for the reality that has materialized in spite of them all! Happy Holidays!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

lovely friend! the post and the photos!

Andrea said...

What does it feel like to be so photogenic? Is what I would like to know.

Do you know that I teared up a little there at the end? It's what your words + Pam's photos do to me.

Also, I miss you.

Michelle said...

I LOVE the photo's! They make me smile!

Chredna said...

AWESOME PICTURES!! What a Great looking family! And I'm racking my brain on who SP is......I should know right? My junior high crushes were NR and SH....remember them? :)

Amber said...

Edna, S.P. is Sean Powers & J.F. is Josh Foster. Josh's little brother Jeremy was our age. Sean & Josh were freshman when we were in 8th grade. Rose "dated" Jeremy. Casie Snyder "dated" Josh & I "dated" Sean. Then when Josh broke up w/ Casie, I broke up w/ Sean & Josh & I started "dating." Any of this ringing a bell!??

Chredna said...

OMG! Can I say that?? How Hilarious! Yes...ringing a bell. NR was Nick Rico who I crushed on my entire JR high years until the last two months of 8th grade when I found someone more attainable...Steven Hengel, who cried when we hugged goodbye at the 8th grade graduation dance. Ring a bell? And....has anyone heard from Casie???

Mom said...

...and your mother was clueless.

I do love the pictures! I'll take the last one, please.

Seizing My Day said...

rolling on the floor laughing at the words Trapper Keeper!! I haven't heard that since I was in middle school I am sure! =) child of the 70's??

You are right... looking back on those what if's... they make me all the more thankful! Beautiful family pics!

Jessica said...

You ARE photogenic! And I love the family shots!

Cat said...

Could you please come visit? I will make sure Carrie comes down with her children and then you will also be close enough for your sister to come (or you could go see her I suppose.)

Just sayin'.

Seizing My Day said...

Hope you had a lovely Christmas!! =) You were smart to take a blog break... last month was painful to just try to get a few posts up... much less visit bloggers! ha ha!
Blessings ... for a wonderful New Year! =)