December 30, 2010

Of crepes and mottos and parental hopes

I had a meeting a few days ago at a new little restaurant called the Creperie. The atmosphere was lovely, and the food even more so. I left with every intention of going back soon. I also left missing my father more than I have in years.

He loved crepes. Loved to make them almost as much as he loved to eat them. What I would give to share a brunch at the Creperie (because according to my father, that's when crepes are best enjoyed) with him and tell him all about what he's missed these last 6 years. And I can't help but wonder if he would be proud of what I've accomplished.

I haven't always been the best wife, but I know he was proud of the choice I made in Mark. He told me that often.

I haven't always been the best mother, but I know he would be proud of who his granddaughters have become.

I haven't always been the best friend, but I know he would be proud of the friendships I have worked hard to maintain through the years.

But is that enough? Would he, after taking a look at the woman I am today, be content knowing I have become all he had hoped for?

As I have taken this month off from the blogging world, I have had a bit of time to pause and reflect on this past year. So many people close to me are welcoming the close of 2010, eager to usher in a year full of promise and new beginnings. I am sad to see 2010 end.

I adopted a motto in 2010 that I have grown quite fond of: Screw it. Just do it.

I have decided that I wasted too many years being fearful of my own limitations, scared of failure, weighed down by the inevitable judgment of others. I realized that I was only as powerful as I believed myself to be. So "Screw it. Just do it." was born.

For once I don't feel like I need a clean slate. I'm not in need of a new year to act as a "do over" and rectify a year riddled with mistakes. Sure I made some (a lot, but who's counting), but I had such an incredible year. We were blessed with health and security and friendship and happiness. That coupled with some of the best new memory-making experiences made for a year that was quite simply so much fun. I wouldn't change a thing.

And if I was sitting across from my father, dining on a savory crepe while telling him what I just told you, I suspect he would be proud. To have a child live an entire year without regret? As a parent I'm not sure there's more we can hope for.

10 comments:

Cristina said...

I have goose bumps, seriously! That you have no regrets is wonderful. Thinking about, am I the person that my father, mother, I, would be proud of? That really hit for me.

Andrea said...

Did you mention me at all in your mental conversation with your father?

Just wondering.

Amy Hall said...

Love it!!!!!!!!

Desiree said...

Pretty sure our Father knows how amazing you are. Just saying...

Michelle said...

Good post, my dear friend. Your pappa would have loved to spend time with his daughter eating crepes. Who wouldn't? I LOVE your motto, it's very fun and catchy! Will you be rolling the motto over into 2011?

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Amber,
This post touched me and I couldn't even comment the first time I read it, just too close to home.
My Dad's motto was "no regrets" so this really rang true for me.

Happy New Year!

Jen said...

Living without regret - that is definitely what I want for my son. Your dad would be proud, I'm sure.

Seizing My Day said...

Beautiful post Amber! I am sure He IS proud!! =)

I sort of did that this year too... though we were hit with many challenges... we chose joy despite hiccups... I chose to Seize My Days ... making the most of whatever happened in our year... trying new things... enjoying precious family time and building memories our children will treasure forever! Growing my kids in God's Will and stretching them to understand Him more... to give and love they way He does... I think I can look back with little to no regret for 2010... but I am ready for a new exciting year... to leap a little farther than last year! =)

Jessica said...

just want to drop a note to say that I miss your fabulous blog posts!

Cat said...

Remember how you used to post all the time and I would get so excited to log on and read what you've been up to?

Yeah. That was awesome.