February 26, 2009

Gift It Forward

One of my friends posted this on her blog and I thought it was brilliant. I also think she is psychic. You see I had just closed thepioneerwoman.com (love her, she is my idol), and after helping myself to a daily dose of her awesomeness, I was thinking how much fun she must have giving stuff away. I mean the woman is a crazy contest holder, throwing prizes like Kitchen Aid Mixers and IPod Shuffles at her loyal readers. I just kept thinking, me too. Me too. I want in on all that contest havin' fun. But there were a few kinks in that thought.

1. I have like 3 readers, so the competition wouldn't be all that fierce (although, from an odds standpoint, this kink would be mighty beneficial!).

2. I have nothing to give away. Hhmmmm, perhaps I could give away some of my junk (and not like junk in the trunk-although if there are any takers.....), because maybe one of you might find a treasure in all that junk. Or not.

3. I'm too boring to craft a fun contest.

See the problem(s). That brilliant idea died hard. Until I saw the "Gift It Forward" post on my friend's blog. And I'm in. So here's how it works:

"The first 3 people to leave a comment on this post will receive a handmade gift from me during this year. When and what will be a surprise. There's a small catch...You knew there would be didn't you? Post this on your blog then come back and leave a comment, telling me you're in. Fun, huh? Remember, only the first 3 comments receive the gift."

Only, I don't like some of those rules. My contest, right? So I'm changing them. First change: I'm giving away 5 handmade gifts. Second change: You don't have to post this contest on your blog (although the Gift It Forwardness of it all would go by the wayside, and then you would have to deal with the guilt of killing a good thing. I'm just sayin'). Final change-and this was the hardest to figure out: I'm still going with the 1st 3 commenters as winners, but I feel you need to work for your prize. Soooo, you have to participate in a little game we call, Would You Rather (Desi, this one's for you). Answer me this (and you have to give me a reason for your choice): Would you rather win the lottery, but not be able to spend a dime on anyone other than yourself? OR Eat only brussel sprouts for the rest of your life? Seriously, that's the question. If you don't believe me, ask Desi. This is how we roll in my family.

Oh and the last 2 handmade gifts will be chosen based on answers. I'll pick my 2 favorites. So have at it. This here contest is open until I say it's over. How's that for set in stone rules!

Ps. There will be no returning said handmade gifts, regardless of how ugly they turn out. You will keep them and you will love them. That’s part of the risk you take entering!

16 comments:

Monica said...

I noticed you did a whole bunch of stuff for the blog entry. I just wanted to tell you that you have to enter them as seperate comments so that they you have more chances to win!

Jessica said...

What a fun idea. Of course, I'm not ready to put the same thing on my blog, but maybe the guilt will eat me up over time, and I will do it eventually.

If I had to make a choice, I would have to pick winning the lottery. It's a tough choice, because I LOVE brussel sprouts. But the nice thing is... I could still eat them if I won the lottery!

Collin & Elizabeth said...

Amber you are too funny. Collin and I lay in bed at night and more often than not...discuss how we would spend money if we won the lottery. Our plans involve giving much of it away to family who could really use it...so this is a twist. I just dont think I could eat that many brussel sprouts. I'd have to go with winning the lottery. selfish I know. :)
I also have to agree with Jessica..I dont think I'm ready to post this on my blog. The thought of doing "Give Aways" completely stresses me out. lol.Im crazy like that.

Desiree said...

dang -I'm not one of your first three comments. Well, I think I should still win a prize, because this contest was inspired purely because of my existence, and my "would-you-rather" childhood moments. By the way, your previous post on "do as I'm doing" was probably my alltime favorite post of yours. These are things I think and stress about, and I don't even have children...

Amy Hall said...

Thanks for the smile! :)
I already received my gift!

Krista said...

Well shoot! Looks like I'm too late to automatically be entered into this fun giveaway, but here's my answer to the Would you Rather. As selfish as it may sound, I'd much rather win the lottery and only be able to spend the money on myself. I've never even tasted brussel sprouts and have no intention of ever doing so. And I can't live without girl scout cookies and ice cream, so that would be a sad existence for me.

Amber said...

Desi-never fear. You do still win because Monica wasn't actually entering (she didn't answer the question), she was just commenting on something else!

Michelle said...

Nooooooooo! I even stopped reading mid-sentence when I saw "first three readers" so that I could jump to the comments section and be one of the first three. It's a good thing I wasn't the first three because I wouldn't have read far enough to see YOUR rules.

Call me selfish but I would rather win the lotto. Since I like loopholes. . .the rules only say the "lotto winnings" there was nothing about not being able to spend the interest earned on other people.

What a fun idea!

PEHNelson said...

Amber I miss you!

Ok I don't think that I could eat brussel sprouts at all, let alone eat them for the rest of my life! So I would choose winning the Lottery and not spending a dime on me. I mean, I actually think that's easy! As a mom, how many times do we go out for time to ourselves and come back with stuff for everyone else but ourselves?!?!?! ALL THE TIME! At least I do. It's much better seeing a smile on someone elses' face!

Heather said...

And I was going to make homemade cakes as a gift. Guess thats what I get for not turning on the computer earlier. Oh, and agree with Rozel. I would rather win the lottery, invest my money and live/ give away the interest. I Hate Brussel Sprouts. Why do people have to grow them anyway?

Heather said...

Oh, I would have posted on my blog...if I could have won:)

Pam said...

Umm, is this question supposed to be hard? Duh, win the lottery and spend the money only on myself. Even though I do like brussel sprouts, especially soaked in butter, or even better, hollondaise sauce. You don't have to enter me in the contest though, I"m not sure I could ever commit to paying it forward.

We'll talk soon, we do want you guys to come visit. Only, Claire is not allowed to smear poop in my carpet. Just so you know.

Dannenbergs said...

Is the Would You Rather thing a trick question? Did I miss something? The Lottery, here I come!

Niki said...

I must say that I agree with a lot of the comments on getting a good laugh out of reading your blog throughout the week! Though I'm not near the top...this made me think because we too say, well...when we win the lottery...but it'd help to win if we played! So I guess I'll never win it! But if I did...I'd probably take the brussel sprouts. I don't care for them so I'd have to learn how to disguise them well. But I can't even buy myself clothes without feeling guilty...though the closet is probably begging for more to fill the hanging rod and shelves. We got a bedroom set and as my hubby fills his draws and keeps his closet shelves full...I had to spread my things out so I felt justified in using the chest-of-drawers. So of the 5 drawers: 1-jewlery and misc buttons 2-the sports bras etc 3-socks...which I've thinned out due to holes! 4-swimwear, belts, anything else I can find 5-used to be gifts, until hubby kept going through it and so I tried to fill it with my t-shirts and then after only 1/2 of it filled...my tanks! :-) So as you see I'd have a hard time spending on myself, unless I could find a way to justify that size 6 mo and 3T and mens clothing fit me! (well the men's clothing, I could get away with as I wear hubby's clothes!)
Long comment...but...that's my justification! :-)

Andrea said...

Well, I guess this is what I get for taking a break from the computer for a couple days! Sheesh! Now I've learned my lesson.

My response is this:
I have never eaten brussel sprouts, but am sure that I could learn to love them. I have also never won the lottery, and yet am sure I could find it in my heart to learn to love money. Really, it's a toss-up (as is everything in my life. I'm no good with decisions). What I REALLY want is a homemade gift from you. It's my comment, and I can change the rules, too! Hey, you did it with the giveaway. I am adding a third choice to the "Would you rather" game. It's called, "have a homemade something from Amber." And I choose it.

Stephanie said...

I feel like I've missed so much. I have not been good at blogging lately, posting or reading. So even though this game is over, I thought I'd comment anyway.

First of all...I love that you made your own rules.

Second of all...brussel sprouts? really?

I would totally take the lotto money, and I don't believe anyone who says otherwise. I have soooooooo many ideas of how I would spend it on myself. So prepare for a long read.

I rarely spend money on myself except for eating out, which I would now continue to do, but at nicer/healthier/pricier places with no guilt. Right away I would hire a personal shopper to replace my entire wardrobe. I would make sure to wear everything at least once, but I would also donate my clothes after each season or so and replace them. Thus, the money I spent was on me, but I could give away my clothes to friends, family, and charity when I'm done with them. I would, of course, buy a new home complete with a visitor's wing, have the whole place professionally decorated and landscaped for entertaining, and then have monthly dinner parties for large groups. The money would be used for MY party(thus I'm spending it on myself because it's fun for me to throw parties), even though everyone could enjoy being at my nice new house and eating my yummy food. And speaking of food...I would also hire a personal chef who would prepare meals at least a few times a week at my home. Oh, and I'd need a maid to come at least once or twice a week for sure. I would also begin going to day spas regularly. I've dreamed of having regular mani/pedi/haircut/color/facial/massage...you know, everything a spa has to offer, none of which I'm ever willing to pay for now. I might have to have two spa memberships because going with a friend would be more fun for me. So I don't know if that counts or not, but I would be spending the money for myself to bring a friend there for my own social selfishness. I would also have to buy a vacation home somewhere. I'm not sure where yet...maybe Hawaii, or else somewhere within driving distance so I could go for the weekend with my family. I would, of course allow my friends and family to use my vacation home for free when I'm not there. Oh, and I guess I would need a great new car too. I'd have to do a little research to say which one though. I would also work around the "only for myself rule" by selling things I no longer need/use, and then I would use that money for my kids/friends/charities/etc. Gosh, my brain has even more ideas, but I know I've been typing forever, so sorry for the novel.

I might actually have to post this on my blog. Not only the pay it forward idea, but the would you rather idea too. Now I just have to win the lottery! Ha ha, this was fun!