February 12, 2009

Traditions

Valentine's Day was an important holiday growing up. Each Valentine's morning we would wake up to a gift from the "Love Bug." Quite like Santa or the Tooth Fairy, the love bug was never seen, and would only appear when little eyelids had finally drooped shut.

My mom, er, the Love Bug, was quite creative when money was tight and handmade crafts were the only option. The idea for our handmade valentines this year was borrowed from one of the Love Bugs originals. But before we get to that, I want to share my favorite Love Bug memory.

It was Friday, February 13, 1998. My trusty Geo Metro was, well, not so trusty, and had left me stranded in Caldwell on my way back to Boise from Payette (the full story of breaking down on Friday the 13th spans into the next month, when I again-yes, 2 Friday the 13ths in a row-broke down on the highway in almost the exact same spot). After calling my parents and attempting to assure them I would be okay and had a bed at a friend's dorm that had been offered to me for the night, my mother insisted on driving to meet me in Caldwell.

I was in the heart of the most difficult years of my life. I, like many fresh out of high school, was struggling with what path to take. I was still hung up on my jerk-of-an-ex boyfriend, and it seemed finding true happiness was an improbability. My self-esteem was wavering and a bucket full of shootings stars could not calm the growing fear that dreams might not always come true. So when my mom pulled up with a backpack full of supplies, I was torn between chastising her for not treating me like an adult and letting me handle the problem on my own, and crawling into the security of her warm car and allowing her to drive me home.

We compromised. She forced me to accept her 72-hour kit and delivered me to my friend's dorm room. After I had gotten settled, I began rummaging through the backpack. Wedged between the peanut-butter crackers and the spare toothbrush was a small pink paper heart. In traditional Love Bug fashion, it was a simple gesture. The construction paper heart wished me a Happy Valentine's Day and was signed, "With Love, The Love Bug." My friend, certain my car troubles had pushed me over the brink, comforted me as my tears blurred the writing on what would become my favorite Love Bug gift of all time.

I have yet to begin the Love Bug tradition in our home. But in a few years, my daughters will wake up each February 14th in anticipation. Until then, I have tried to begin a few of our own Valentines traditions. Making homemade valentines is one of them.

I had grand ideas this year, and they certainly looked different in my mind. And although I liked the valentines we made last year a bit more, I was pleased with the results this year (as was Cora).
I believe someday I will be able to convert the image in my head into reality. I suppose I have many more years of February 14ths to attempt it. Anyway, hope this Valentine's Day finds you feelin the love. If not, know that I love you. Does that help?

11 comments:

Krista said...

Those are sooooo cute, but I am left wondering what is inside. Why no pictures of that?

Michelle said...

That story brought tears to my eyes . . .or maybe it was the fact that you are no longer friends with a certain dumpster diver . . .

As for those struggling-what-path-to-take-years. . .Do you know that there is a class called "Quarter Life-Crisis" that actually helps students cope with that time in their life. Sheesh, I could have used it. Well, I could still use it.

Anyhoo, what lovely V-day gifts! I look forward to seeing next years.

Jessica said...

Those are so nice! All of a sudden my brown paper bag ones don't look so cool anymore

Andrea said...

Adorable...ah, 1998, a year to remember? maybe not so much! Here's to moms who always know just what we need...and mine will be here in 3 hours!! Thanks for sending out the love as I will be with my parents on Valentine's Day!

Kristin said...

Amber, you're so creative and cute.

Amy Hall said...

I love this idea of a Love Bug visit! :)

Rachel said...

You are so incredible Amber. Your story made me cry for all the right reasons. One of my favorite qualities you possess is your ability to cherish and remember the little things.

Your Valentine's are so cute. I'm a little bit jealous that I am going to on a cruise with two girls who are more creative than I will ever be.

You're amazing!!!!!

Andrea said...

If you would have just stayed at Ricks, where you belonged, switched apartments, and become my roomie...

Hooray for moms and horray for Valentine's Day. I want to write some fabulous V-day post for my blog, but don't know what to say (especially after reading YOURS). Any ideas?

Michelle Butler said...

that is too cute!!

More Than a Housefull!!!! said...

Knowing your Mom, I really appreciate this tender story of love. She is a great lady and you my dear are just as special. Keep up the good work.

Stephanie said...

I am so borrowing the Love Bug tradition. I love it! I really appreciated your car story as well. Here's to mom's (that includes you, too).