I went to a birthday party last week. It was quite entertaining. It was for the daughter of a single father my husband works with. Now let me first start off by saying I know he ADORES his children. He is a great dad, and has done a remarkable job shielding his daughters from a very ugly divorce (while I am adamantly against divorce, this is one of those instances where I was extremely supportive of his decision. I'll leave it at that). But he is a dad. A male. As in, the opposite of the female; the mother.
I was the only female adult in attendance. So I sat back and watched the party unfold. It. Was. Awesome.
I found out about the party 2 days before it was scheduled; not because he forgot to send out invitations, but because he planned it 2 days before. He told half of the invited guests to bring a pizza to feed their family, but neglected to tell the other half. So half of the invitees showed up with dinner, while the other half were left to look like they never got the memo. There were no decorations. No table cloths. No forks to eat the cake, which was fine because there was no knife to cut the cake anyway. No lighter to light the candles that were blown out before anyone broke into the familiar chorus. No games. No goodie bags.
Just a cake, some friends and a few presents.
The birthday girl loved it. The party guests loved it. I loved it.
I enjoy watching men play mother. They just roll with the punches. No worries about silly trivial details. If the kids are fed and happy, they have succeeded. They pay no attention to the dirty little faces, the fly-a-way hair. They will dress their children in a blue plaid shirt and neon green striped shorts (in the dead of winter) because why not? The kids are fed and happy. They have succeeded.
I would like to take a page from their mothering handbook. But I can't. Because I AM a mother. I'm wired differently. I AM a woman. I don't function the same way.
It's all in the details and the planning and the execution. "I's" are dotted and "T's" are crossed. Because it keeps me sane. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not obsessive compulsive (occasionally obsessive and occasionally compulsive, but usually not at the same time). I'm scatterbrained and messy and unorganized most days. But when it comes to a birthday party, I'll take THIS (or THIS) party any day over the one I attended this week (she's so fantastic it's kinda ridiculous, no?). While both could be considered successful parties and I'm sure both children felt equally loved, only my husband, the man, would have attended both and not noticed a difference. If he is fed and happy, then someone has succeeded.
Sometimes I wonder if they have even heard of Venus?
10 comments:
so funny. so true. i watched a dad with his three girls outside an albertson's the other night. girls had wet hair and pjs on. baby had no pants, no socks, no shoes. it was 40 degrees. and they were at the red box, in line. and that baby was out in the cold, for like, 10 minutes. then i watched them head back to the car. he was in the lead, and the trailing girl tripped and fell. completely to the ground. dad had no clue as he buckled frozen-legged baby in the car that he had a man down behind him. oblivious. but, the three girls ended up in the car just fine, but it was a (hilarious) reminder how men and women differ.
Boy is this the truth! My husband took 1/2 day today, so I could go to work (I don't get paid days off). I called him at 9am to ask him something and he was Still.In.Bed. When I asked if Dylan was still asleep? "Uh, no I think I hear him in there talking". Meanwhile I get up every day I don't work at 7am, because my husband wakes Dylan up stomping through the house like an elephant! (Excuse me while I take a few deep breaths).
Um, so why do they die first if we are the ones with all the stress?
I love this. men and daddy's are always a surprise. I always wonder what exactly is going on inside their heads, then I count my blessings that I HAVE NO IDEA. Still this sounds like a really great time!
you hit the nail on the head! fed and clothed equals fat and happy in the man handbook.
Wired different is the TRUTH! But I'm very thankful for it. What a mess--if we were the same! I love the differences...most of the time!
oh my. what does this say about me? i was just saying to a friend the other day that i would be happy to have birthday parties for all of my kids if all it meant was just everyone hanging out and kids playing and then a bit of cake. none of this martha stewart crap for me. this plan would work better if we had a rumpus room or my kids had birthdays in the summer. and you should see some of the weird things my kids wear around here. i'm happy if i can get them to dress themselves instead of whining at me to do it.
oh no. am i from mothering mars?
Great perspective!
So true, men are...different. I, too, wish I could borrow their book and actually live it, just for a day. I might be begging to pick my book back up, but just to see would be interesting.
This post was hilarious because I just finished throwing a bridal shower worrying SO much about every perfect detail. Now I know that the guest of honor was an adult, but with kids, they love the thought, the family, the friends, the time. They value people, not just things :)
What a wonderful dad! He gets father of the year in my book!
My dad was the total game man when I had b-day parties. We never did anything fancy but we always had a FU-UN game to play. Right Andrea O'Shuman?!?!? Like, who can rake the most leaves!!
I have never understood why parents go ALL out for a b-day parties. Clowns, circus, zoo, party-bags, themes, etc. I get tired just thinking about it. Bake a cake and call it a party!
This would be my kind of party. In some ways, I'm a man. I know. that sounds weird. But seriously...I so unorganized at times and letting it all fly like that would be so much less stressful for me. For others it would be stressful. For me...it would be cool not to "care" about all the little stuff.
Yes, men are simple creatures. I guess they help us balance everything out. At least this guy threw her a birthday party :)
BTW, I love all your posts. I wish I had more time to keep up with them and comment on all of them because they are all highly entertaining or insightful. Good job.
Post a Comment