Over on that coupon blog that I now want to use as a curse word, we just got done with a major blog redesign (it's pretty-go take a looksie) and switched over from blogger to wordpress. We've been told that's where blogs go when they grow up. Note to self: never grow up. Wordpress is mean. If it was a tangible thing, I would have kicked it by now. Or pulled its hair. Because that's what adults do after they have been fighting html codes and wordpress widgets and RSS feed problems. We pull hair (most recently my own).
Meanwhile back at the ranch, I have officially become a soccer mom. While the initial plan was to just sign Claire up and watch a bunch of 3 year olds scramble the wrong way down the field purely for parental entertainment purposes, we decided to introduce Cora to the sport as well. The hope is that she opts for soccer (inexpensive sport) over gymnastics (retirement drainer). Only time will tell. After her first practice though, one thing is for certain. The child is naturally athletic (which at the ripe old age of five translates into fearless).
I now have two kids with soccer games on the same days at the same times. With Mark's work schedule, he will be unable to attend games. So now not only do I have to go out and purchase a minivan to make the soccer mom transition complete, I also have to figure out a way to be in two places at once. Hmm? I'm calling in grandparent and auntie reinforcements (although my childless sister whose hubby will be working during games as well is complaining that it is unfair to make her a single soccer parent without first experiencing parenthood herself. I say she gets to give them back at the end of the night, so her complaints will be rightfully ignored).
I'm sure after the first game on Saturday I will have some pictures to post, but for now please say a little prayer that my daughter wins her first game. She's fiercely competitive that one (no idea where she gets that?) and she doesn't take well to losing. And while I would normally be all, "There are no losers if you try your best," and blah blah blah, my bank account needs her to fall in love with soccer and break up with gymnastics. So let's hear it for the Red Falcons!! (Seriously? The Red Falcons? They are 5 year old girls playing against The Get Along Gangs, The Pinkalicious Powers and the Powder Puff Girls and that's all you've got coach? I guess Claire is on Team Elephant, so it could be worse).
15 comments:
Fun! Be so glad that she is good at soccer! We have experienced (endured?) four seasons of soccer where we BEGGED our kids to run. Just run, we don't even care if you make contact with the ball...
Enjoy your soccer season! :) :) :)
Amyjoy
This is my first in four years of being soccer free. Hallelujah! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE soccer (especially when it is in place of that horrible pick-pocket: gymnastics - which is what we keep trying to steer our girls away from), but I needed just one spring of Saturdays to myself. Maybe next year we'll try it again. I am being little Miss lazy mom this year. No extra activities.
Have fun! I can't wait to hear how you like it. wink. wink.
Just kidding. By next soccer season you will have forgotten all the horror.
Word about HTML-smell...it's so confusing!
Wow, though, the new blog is pretty fancy :)
How darn cute are your girls and soccer? My husband was a soccer buff, so he of course is grooming both Miss S and T...he can't even walk yet, but he can kick a ball. Well okay, not really, but he will!
How fun! Your pictures are going to be adorable!
I'm a soccer mom without a kid in soccer. i've got the mini van, but my kid was more interested in spotting airplanes then he was in kicking the ball. now we're onto karate and my weekend schedule thanks him.
p.s. the books arrived. i'm sending you an email about it cause i don't want to cry on your blog. needless to say, i think you are great. :)
Sounds like a blast. We are hoping to steer Anna towards softball, but not until next year. I'm not ready for that part of life to start yet. And don't be knockin' the mini-van. It isn't my first choice, but it does fit a lot, comes in handy...and on my end is paid for!!
Team Elephant? Seriously?
I love the team names. Welcome, my friend to the world of juggling the activities. It can be crazy... It is fun but at the same time it makes me yearn for those boring days where you are in your jammies and wondering where are we going to go today so mama doesn't go nuts. Ahh. The days of old.
team elephant. that is freakin' hilarious! i love that!
and soccer? don't like that. at all. i'll take gymnastics. it's warmer.
Hope you love it! Keep blankets, chairs, snacks (including HOT chocolate) in the car! Not quite sure what to tell you about being two places at once....I'm trying to figure out how to be in four....it's isn't working out so well! Go team! Go Amber!
oh man, we're starting with baseball this year with the boys. Terribly worried that ellerie will be asking before long about dance lessons as she LOOOOOVEs to dance and actually has a pretty good groove for a 2 year old. STILL, i'm with you, retirement drainer. but i'm getting ahead of myself here. must. focus. on. 4. nights. a. week. of. baseball. not sure if that, or needing to be in two places at once is worse! best of luck :-)
Go soccer! I hope it works out for her! Soccer is awesome. I'd love to have played it but i probably would have broke something. I seem to always do something weird like that.
Oh that is so neat! I never got to be a soccer mom. I was a powerlifting / football mom and yes with the Red minivan. I miss that van full of boys!! ..Sigh...
I can't wait to see your pictures!
Good Luck Red Falcons and Elephants!!:-) ~ Coreen
I hadn't looked at your blog in a long time and came back today for some reason I have already forgotten. But then I remembered how we have such similar tastes in music and now I am on my way to download WINTER by Sara B and Ingrid. Thanks for sharing!
My little girl broke up with gymnastics and has been playing soccer for 5 seasons now?! ;) I miss gymnastics... but our bank account is grateful. ;) It is fun to see her soccer skills grow!
Good luck with the double soccer game juggle!
Post a Comment