My husband won't let me buy the New Kids on the Block's new album. Because I would like to maintain my blogs PG rating, I will not use the exact verbiage my husband used when telling me why I was prohibited from spending his hard earned money on some wussy white boys' album (Jordan, please forgive me for marrying a hater!). So can anyone explain to me why this is a better way to spend said money:
He wants to buy this and start riding it to work. He says it will save gas. I say it will take years of riding it to ever come close to recouping the $2000 spent to purchase it. He says it will keep him from racking up miles on my car (he drives my car to work at night because it gets a lot better gas mileage than his truck). I say it is a glorified mountain bike and it is, simply put, ugly. He says it is a dual-purpose-something-or-other that he will be able to ride almost year round. I say he will ride it once before some inattentive driver smashes him to smithereens (it's a real word, I promise).So before I go research the amount of life insurance my husband currently carries, I say we put this to a vote. And because your vote is binding (my husband's ability to continue wearing his hideous donkey shirt should be proof enough), please take this opportunity to voice your opinion. Dumpy waste of clams? Economical beauty? Out of the mouth of Al Capone, " Vote early and vote often." (which isn't really a good quote to end with because if you do vote often only the first vote will count.)
12 comments:
did you know you can actually post a poll on your blog? it's pretty cool. Anyways, I was the other way around, and tried to convince my husband to get one of these. Yes, there's some up front cost, but it should outway the negatives quickly. Plus, you can use it for a few years, then sell it again, and get most your money back (as long as you don't buy a new bike). This particular model reminds me of the one Joe owned when we met, and were dating. I drove it all the time. It brings me happy memories. But for you it really depends on how you feel about the safety, and whether you can afford to buy one right now. If it was me, I would be all for it, but if I were you.... you decide.
Poor Mark. Matt would feel his pain except his chosen death vehicle would be a jeep. This is a tough one...I understand the cost issue, but I also understand the death issue. I would make him a deal...he buys the bike, and you get the NKOTB album and the freedom to play said album anytime, anywhere.
Pffft. Who would choose THAT over an NKOTB album? The album costs $10, but if Mark won't let you buy it, I suppose I can illegally burn you a copy. The donkey shirt, not so bad. The murdercycle...really bad.
Amber,
I feel for you. Truly. Personally, I think it is a hideously ugly bike, but there's a bright side to that. Hideously ugly is much more noticeable on the road. The white and the angles of bike really stand out, so I think he has a better chance of other motorists seeing him than on a regular street bike that would blend into the road more. My hubby rides to work, so you know which way I lean on the issue, but I certainly can't make the decision for the two of you. If you decide to go for it, and he hasn't taken a STAR course (motorcycle safety), I heartily recommend it, even if he knows how to ride. There is just so much information there, that is is so worth the time and money (anyway, that's what my hubby says).
Amber,
I feel strongly about anything that looks like a "murdercycle" as your friend said. Love that description.
Here are my reasons to NOT get one...
You will need lots of life insurance on your hubby because they are definitely not safe,
they are hard to see on the road. Yesterday one was in front of me and I couldn't even see his signal lights until I was on his bumper.
My dad nearly died on one,
I have a friend who lost 3 male family members on motorcycles.
Hmmm any other reasons. Nope.
As far as the CD, get it. Just don't tell him! :) If he is like my hubby, he wouldn't even notice it. Not too be deceitful but it is a CD. That's all from me.
Amyjoy
Seeing as how we very recently buried a family member due to a motorcycle incident, I think my vote will be a little one-sided. You can use it or dismiss it. I used to crave a Harley, and was this close (imagine my thumb and index finger almost touching) to letting Ty get a pit bike because they're cute and fun and economical, but now every time my kids see a motorcycle they mention how Matt died on one, so I'm paranoid that the purchase of one would send them into fits of worry over their beloved Daddy getting killed. The thing that worries me about motorcycles is that it's usually not the cyclist's fault when there's an accident, so it doesn't matter how careful you are, you leave your fate in the hands of all the other crazy, distracted drivers out there - yikes! I guess that's probably true of any vehicle, but you get my gist.
Glad you liked the cake! Wasn't it just dreamy!?! :)
I vote no motorcycle. We went to Yellowstone this week and while on the highway, we saw a man in a business suite driving one of these kind of bikes with his back pack strapped on. And as he got up to speed he was bouncing all over the place. It made me nervous and all Scott could say was, "Why would you ride THAT to work?" Does Mark really want to be one of those people? :)
amy
I'm afraid Husband and I have been having a similar discussion for the past 5 years except that I want a Honda Shadow and he doesn't want me to have any fun whatsoever. In the end though I think the rationale behind it is important. If he wants it for hours of fun, that's one thing. If he thinks he'll save money by getting one he is either rationalizing because he wants said hours of fun or hasn't done the math. I'm afraid those are two different conversations. Personally I don't know why he would want a hunk-a-junk dually when he can get a cruiser for the same price or cheaper if he is okay with a small engine like a 250 but he might have some intentions for his "off" hours that would require the versatility.
As for safety issues, they change depending on things like where he'll usually be riding it(busy roads, big cities), how much experience he has, etc. Anyway, this turned into a book so I'm done. :)
JD would love a bike as well, and I'm mostly indifferent about it. If it's something that he would enjoy and have fun with then I'm easily convinced. He works hard and deserves it. But also think I would feel very differently had I gone through the same experiences that you have.
I'm for the bike. Rob and I would love to own one ourselves, and are willing to trade our awesome pickup for one. He should let you buy the NKOTB cd too.
Ya we ride those, hence the knightriders. They are not dual sport though. I would be nervous about the road. It is hard to see people on them. I have seen a lot more people riding bikes on my commute though. So maybe people will get more used to them and watch out more. Probably not but hey I was trying to make you feel better.
I vote in favor. The safety of the motorcyclist is largely dependent on his/her attentiveness in avoiding an accident that they wouldn't be at fault for, so I don't buy the argument that they're any more likely to get hurt or killed through "no fault of their own" than if they were driving a car.
Post a Comment