September 10, 2008

The way we were

So I think I need to clarify something brought up by my previous post. Mark has owned a motorcycle of some sort for most of his life. He is a very experienced rider. When we were first married, had dual incomes and no kids, he bought a pretty sweet bike. We both loved it. There are days when I still miss it terribly. That bike represented a lot of things to us, but mostly freedom. We could hop on it and ride for hours. No destination, no babysitter to get home to, no worries.

All of that changed when my father was killed (see The Progenitor). I hated that bike for the constant reminder that it was. Mark rode it once after my father's death and I nearly lost my mind. From the second he drove out of the driveway and for the full 15 minutes he was gone, I could barely breathe. Every worst case scenario played out in my mind. He sold the motorcycle shortly after that.

It has taken over 4 years before talk of buying another motorcycle has even been allowed. After looking at the pictures below of his last motorcycle, do you understand why I cringe at that hideous piece of junk he wants to purchase now?

10 comments:

Kristin said...

The cool thing about the dirt bike though is it really should be better to drive year round than a normal bike. That and you can take it to the dunes! I do admit though, I am impressed you would consider owning another bike.

Andrea said...

OOOOohhh, so you're basically okay with the whole motorcycle thing (you're good to get over it that quickly), it's just the looks of this one that are bothering you? And the mathematics that make this a screaming deal? I would say, "Hey, if you're dead-set on saving gas money let's sell your truck and you can get whatever kind of motorcycle you want!" But I DO agree that cycle number 1 is a far better accessory for your garage than cycle number 2. There's just no comparing the two.

Unknown said...

:)

Andrea said...

Wooo girl...you look hot on that cycle! I still stand...he get's the bike, you get the music!

Heather said...

I remember when this bike was sold.
I do agree on bike #2. I would be stuck on the "no way, no how" attitude. I don't think that Shawn is ever going to own a bike though.(it would be very hard to carry vet supplies on a bike:)

Chredna said...

What is it with boys and motorcycles?!?! Chris keeps having the same conversation with me. I won't let him buy one because he had motorcycles is high school and was in TWO accidents. His mom says he's lucky to be alive! He now drives a loud Ford F-150. He likes it because it has 20's....whatever that means but he wants a motorcycle for better gas mileage. I told him if he wants to save gas.....get a Ford Focus.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful Bike...the other looks kinda like an ugly step sister after a bar brawl...maybe. Good luck trying to figure this family discussion.

Stephanie said...

Mmmm...now that's a bike. That other thing is lame. I say if you're going to buy a bike, then get one... not that sorry excuse for one. My brother has had street bikes practically my whole life, and is currently on year 4 of touring the Americas on his. But it's a real bike. Dirt bikes don't count, and as you mentioned before, are really ugly. Has he seen the two pictures next to each other?

lemontree said...

Ah, yes, I remember now. I still say the dually would be easier to see, precisely because it IS ugly. It also rides higher, which is a definite plus.

Cat said...

I've been into bikes ever since I first rode with Mason Taylor 10 years ago. One of the things I was told when I first started looking for my own is that cruisers are more noticable simply because they're louder (although it's still really a matter of riding defensively). If it's a decision between the two though, the cruiser is hands-down undeniably prettier. Like I said, if he's going for something good on gas get a smaller engine (I assume that old bike was an 1100 or so) like the 650/750cc Shadow. They're pretty bikes, reliable, good on gas, have great reviews and are fairly inexpensive.

Haha, I just had a mental image of the guy that comes, 12 years from now, to take your daughter on a date and meets Mark, a cop with a bike. You better believe he'll have her home promptly. :) Unless of course he gets the dually in which case no one will take him seriously :P