For years I was a factual writer. Too much time spent behind an editor's desk and the expressive side of writing gets trumped by a limited word count. Get straight to the point, no fluff, no emotion. It got me into college and paid my way through. It also landed me my first "C."
The assignment was simple: write a 5 page paper on a person in my life, living or dead, who had inspired me. The college professor, years of grading papers under his belt, dropped my paper on my desk without a word. Missing was the constructive criticism in the form of red ink. No chastisement for faulty parallelism or dangling modifiers. Not a mark on the paper, with the exception of the fat red "C" screaming at me on the last page. Attached was a small post-it note that read, "See me after class."
I was confused. My great-grandmother, Nana, had been the inspiration for my paper. I felt it was thorough and well written, and it had touched on all of the most important and relevant aspects of her life. My professor agreed, thus adding to my confusion. His explanation and the comments that followed forever changed how and why I write.
My paper read like an obituary, he said. Well written, but entirely fact based. It was completely void of emotion. It lacked heart. He said, after reading the paper, he understood why someone would be inspired by my great-grandmother, but he never felt that someone was me. As a writer, I was completely disconnected from the piece. I began to argue that I had been trained to do just that throughout my years on newspaper staffs, when he stopped me. He told me I had to make a choice. I either opened myself up when pen hit paper or I get a job with the AP.
It was so much easier to hide behind the facts. Facts are safe. Writing about me, my life, my fears, my inadequacies, opened it up to personal criticism. Essentially, if my writing was hated, so was I. I had, up to that point, avoided that type of criticism by avoiding that type of writing. But my professor left me no choice; spill passion onto my pages, or take the C and walk away.
He gave me 2 days to re-write the assignment. I trashed the first draft and wrote furiously for 48 hours. I had opened the flood gates and they would not be shut off. The revised paper was turned in on Friday, and the waiting began. I had never been so nervous about an English assignment before, but I felt the stakes were suddenly higher. I was invested this time.
The second time that paper hit my desk, I skipped past the red comma reminders and flipped directly to the last page. It read:
"Oh Amber,
I am absolutely stunned. This is a beautiful and touching piece of writing that I would be proud to have written myself. This is a shine of brilliance above and beyond my expectations. If I thought for just one second that my class helped you write this, it would make my semester. Blown away, John."
I saved that paper and stumbled upon it recently. It not only made me feel all warm and fuzzy, but it reminded me why I am so honest in my writing these days. When the years have done irreparable harm and I am looking back on my life through journals and blogs, I want to know what I felt as I experienced life. Might not be a "shine of brilliance" very often, but there will be passion behind the words. And that is worth an "A" in my book.
13 comments:
I wish I had just a little.
I wish I had ever had an English professor like that! Give me REAL instruction and tell me how to improve not just my paper, but my writing! I only had one English class in college (stupid me, I should have majored in it like my heart told me), and it was a complete joke. It was NOT about writing, but about commas. I swear that is ALL the teacher cared about. And now look at me - no better at writing and can't remember, when to use, commas,,,.
I'm sure that you were one of those students who "made" that teacher's career. I, for one, love your work!
Part of why I love your writing and your blogs is because they are genuine, and come from your heart. As I once said, you have incalculable depth, and I feel blessed beyond words to be able to see that depth in your blogs. You bring so much to my life, and my writing through your own words.(You really have no idea!) Over a year ago, I prayed for a venue to get back into writing, and then I met you, and my inspiration was born. I thank your professor for pushing you to write from your heart. YOU MAKE MY SPECIAL LIGHT SHINE!!
What a great teacher! Your writing is amazing, and I'm sure he helped you immensely in accomplishing that style of writing. Anytime I get ready to read your blog, I know it will be good reading... no matter the subject. you should write a novel!
That is awesome!
Hey I still have your bowl. How about you guys come over Saturday for dinner and pick it up?
Email me at gasdocfamily AT gmail DOT com
Amber's #1 quality-passion. That's why we all love you. (plus all the other stuff!)
So I want to read that paper now, you shuld post it! Uh I still have that favorite shirt of yours!
I absolutely love reading your posts. You have an awesome gift of writing. It pulls me in and I am awed every time. You are smart and funny and write with a passion I wish I had. I have always wanted to be able to write who knows maybe you'll be my "professor".
LOVE to read your posts! I'm interested in the content of your paper. I've never been a 'reader' but think I could read and enjoy anything you've written.
I just read your comment on my blog and, seizing the opportunity to be someone's hero, had to come respond and tell you that yes, I DID do that light thing on purpose with a fancy camera trick. It's what happens when your shutter speed is slowed down, f-stop is lowered, and your ISO is set high. It's also what happens when I turn the dial on top of my camera to the little picture of a star and a silhouette. I think it's called nighttime mode.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage"
Not sure who said it - but I love it!
Thanks for sharing that experience. I love being able to look back on things and remember how I felt, not just what happened. Maybe I need to be a little more open in my writing too...Thanks for the inspiration.
By the way, I haven't checked your blog in a while so I don't know when you changed it, but it looks awesome! Your family pictures are adorable too!
You are an amazing writer! That professor knew it too. I have not been on lately and realize as I read this that I have missed your blogs. Thanks for all your sharing. It's a joy to read your blog. And I agree, you should write a book!
Post a Comment