November 13, 2008

Dynamic Duo

Cora's best friend is Lisa. There are a few things you should know about Lisa. First, and most importantly, she does not exist. She also is allowed to consume unlimited amounts of ice cream, even before she eats her vegetables. Lisa has a horse and a new baby brother and a new puppy. She is never forced into time-out for secretly eating the Halloween candy stashed under her bed. Her parents let her have Bratz dolls and ride in a car without being buckled up and go to bed without brushing her teeth (which are perfect, of course, even though she has NEVER had to go to the dentist). She never has to clean her room or clear her dinner plate. She is welcome to roam freely in sub zero temperatures without a coat, or socks or even shoes. Quite simply, if she were real and my daughter did not just live vicariously through this imaginary friend, I would not only wonder how she survived this long, but also how her parents have avoided CPS.

So now that you and Lisa have been properly introduced, the conversation below between Cora and myself will make much more sense (um, kind of).

Me: Cora, you need to brush your hair so we can get to preschool.

Cora: Lisa never has to brush her hair. And she has beautiful princess hair. Like Rapunzel.

Me: That is great for Lisa, but your hair is a rat's nest and needs to be brushed.

Cora: A rat's nest. That's strange. Like one time when Lisa and I went to the park we saw something strange. It was a man girl. We were mortified.

Me: Mortified? Wait, a man girl? What park was this?

Cora: Well it wasn't really a park. It was a ball game, but not like "take me out to the ball game." A real ball game. And there was a human girl who was amazing with diamond earrings.

Me: Let's get back to this man girl. What does that mean?

Cora: Well like when Lisa's mom and Lisa's dad have a baby. It is half a girl and half a man. So she calls it a man girl.

Seriously? Where does she come up with this stuff?

12 comments:

Cat said...

Wow. That's all I can think of to say really. Wow. Also, what practically-toddler even KNOWS the word "mortified"?

Andrea said...

I sometimes wish my kids had imaginary friends - they provide such cheap entertainment! Saylor DID tell me yesterday that when I dropped her off at school she talked to herself until the bell rang (a good 20 minutes at least). I don't know what she wanted me to do with that little tidbit of information, but it made me chuckle.

Michelle said...

This sounds like a new book for the Twilight Series.

Andrea said...

How funny...Anna doesn't have an imaginary friend, she has imaginary kids. She walks around and tells her kids what to do and asks them questions. She even makes me feed them sometimes. Aren't 4 year-olds fun?

Amber said...

I check your blog every morning to see if a new posting is up. They truly brighten my day, and your wit and humor makes me smile. Your daughter never fails to amaze me. For a minute, right at the beginning, I was a bit jealous, until I realized Lisa did not exist. See you early tomorrow morning!!!!

Amber said...

Ohmygosh....what the heck?? This is Rachel and for some reason I am leaving a comment under your blogname. Did you by chance log onto your blog at my house. What the heck???????????

Rachel said...

Ok you did log in at my house! That freaked me out. I ditto everything I just said...ummm...just pretend it's udner my name!

ranell said...

You need to carry around a tape recorder with you....well just hang it around her neck, that would work. She is so funny. Wonder where she gets it. I didn't have an imaginary friend growing up but Seth did.

Also, I think I would have been a little freaked out by her man girl at the park comment. What an imagination. LOL too funny!

Dannenbergs said...

Don't worry Cora, I think I saw a man girl at the park the other day too.

Katie said...

I just about peed my pants reading that! So funny!

Pam said...

Wow, that girl has got quite the imagination...love it!

Michelle said...

ok - this has nothing to do with your current blog but I am eagerly awaiting a blog on the NKOTB concert!