It began as a photo album, a journal, a record keeper, but it became so much more. My blog became a place to seek refuge. It transformed into a sounding board, an advice seeker, a stress reliever, a listener. And although, riddled with pictures of toothy smiles and rosy cheeks, it has maintained its duties as family historian, it is now a trusty non-judgmental companion.
And through your blogs I find the same thing. On rough days, when I am certain I cannot go on, positive that I have made a mistake when making the decision to replace business cards with sippy cups, I wander to a blog where I am reminded that feelings of failure and inadequacy are the norm and resonate throughout the blogging world. I feel less alone, more at ease while navigating without a manual through this thing they call parenting. I click on another post and am reminded that a few extra pounds does not a hippo make. And that the ponytail is the "in" thing this winter. I am more aware of the beauty and strength of women, inside and out.
I seek escape from my mundane (although lovely) life through various forms. I have lived vicariously through the famous mother/daughter duo of Stars Hollow (and felt for sure my life was ending when they took their last sip of coffee at Luke's) and I have lusted over a fictional teenage vampire. I have buried my nose in a book and immersed myself in the musical talents of others in an attempt to remove myself from the daily stresses of my life. And it usually works. The problem with those mediums is that they don’t talk back. Edward doesn’t know me from Adam. And that fictional town in
That is why I am grateful for you, fellow bloggers. Not only do I feel we are privy to some secret society that posts allow you passage into, but I feel a strange connection to many of you who are (and probably always will be) hundreds of miles away. I feel you know me, quirks and all, and return despite it all. And, through your blogs I have not only come to know you, but appreciate your wit, your empathy and your insight.
You help me be a better mother, a more compassionate friend and a stronger woman. And when I fail at one or all of the above and blog all about it, you make me feel that is okay. So thank you. For your comments. For your blogs. For your wisdom. But mostly, for your understanding. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go clean up the aftermath of a “napping” 2-year-olds attempt at her own dirty diaper change. Fuel for post 101 perhaps?
8 comments:
I am not sure anyone could have articulated that better than you have.
It's true - we all get to talk about things we might NEVER talk about and surprisingly (to me anyway) people WANT to hear about it and people have yet to judge. It always amazes me how each blog post evokes different emotions from different people.
I am officially addicted to this therapy called blogging.
I look forward to your next 100+ blogs.
I love Gilmore Girls!!!!!! My husband refers to it as the "show where the girls never take a breath while talking." :)
I know your blog entry was about a much more serious topic but I just was excited to find another fan! :)
Keep blogging!
100 posts? Your blog is a year old? Wow, they grow up so fast don't they? I love that you put into words everything I heart (can't use love again - that would be a bit gratuitous) about blogging. I swear, it has become like a testimony meeting every time I get together with my sisters and try to explain why they should all blog. I love that it makes me feel close to people I would otherwise never "talk" to or know. It has put me in contact with so many amazing women, helped me feel unalone, and given me more faith in people.
Now excuse me while I go count my posts, cause "100th Post" is one less title I would have to come up with!
p.s.Oh, I won't be writing about the topic you suggested. Not because it isn't valid, but because I couldn't do it justice. I'm not a deep thinker (or at least not a writer of deep thoughts), so I'll leave that topic to you...for your 101st post!
Ditto to all of that. Though my own attempt is less frequent and much less eloquent than most, I love the blogging world! Some days it is my only contact with ANY world other than my own. Thanks to all!
Yes blogging is a great hobbie. I love it. Oh and don't tell me you don't constantly clean too. I have seen your posts. Your sweet little girls are always making messes for you to clean.
Congrates:)) You are a pro at this blogging thing. Can I just say you are a great writer, you do a fantastic job. I feel like I am right there with you while you are going through your life. You do a good job putting it into words. I would have to say you now have two talents. SEWING and writing:)SWL
Kim
ps SWL--said with love
Hey Amber!
Thanks for the reassurance on the pregnancy awkwardness! Right now I am not showing but the "gassy feeling" makes my jeans beyond tight and I want to put on my pregnancy jeans. I can't wait for the transition to occur and the feeling to go and the baby to show:)!
Gilmore Girls! Ahhhhh! I agree with you! And I never liked Luke's nephew with Rory. Horrible fit! I am going to see if my library has the seasons for loan:)
Amber, you're adorable. I love your blog.
Post a Comment