March 31, 2009

Are you calling me cheap? (hopefully!)

Growing up, I had big dreams. House on the beach, luxury cars, exotic vacations, wild shopping sprees, unlimited amounts of money. Those things were foreign to me, because we were poor. Really poor. Strange how those things are still foreign to me, and I no longer consider myself poor.

Somewhere, in the very farthest places of my imagination, I still hold on to those dreams. They will never materialize, and I'm not even sure I would want them to anymore. I think it would complicate my life, and I have grown accustom to simplicity. With that said, one of those ridiculous dreams I still hold out hope for is the ability to eat out for every meal. I LOVE to eat out. It never gets old. I can eat out every day of the week and not tire of it. And, I do not discriminate. I love all types of restaurants: Mexican, fancy-shmansy, Subway, steak houses, Olive Garden, salad bars, Baja Fresh, local hole-in-the-wall-Mom-and-Pop-types. You name it and I have probably eaten there (or have plans to).

Problem with this type of lifestyle is the money to back it. In order to feed my habit (pun intended), I have sacrificed in other areas of my life. I NEVER buy new clothes/shoes/accessories for myself. I have given up pedicures and trips to the salon (I get my hair cut like once a year). And quite frankly, I have become somewhat of a train wreck fashionably speaking. And I've tired of it. I'm sick of the battles I have almost daily with my closet and my mirror. I yell and scream at them for not producing better results, when I am the only one to blame.

So recently, I decided that I had to find other ways to cut back. I needed to find a way to maintain my love affair with dining out, while replacing the yoga pants that clothe me 23 hours out of the day (just long enough to shower and put them back on). My solution: cut my grocery bill in half.

My first thought was to force my family to live on Ramen, but because I am such a kind mother/wife, I decided against that. Next was to confront my fear of coupons and dive into the freakish world of couponing. I know, "freakish" seems like a harsh word, but couponers always seemed cheap, strange, lower class. Plus I HATED clipping coupons. I would clip, they would expire. I would clip, they would get lost. I would clip, I would forget to use them. So I avoided them. Like the plague. Until about 3 weeks ago.

I dove in. With help from the couponing website of one of my girlfriend's, FabuLESSlyfrugal.com, I took the plunge. And I realized, like I do with most of my irrational fears/judgements, that all of my preconceived notions were wrong, and couponing was, well, fabuLESS!

I'm still getting the hang of things, but in a 2 week period, I saved over $150 (and I'm a novice!). My rules were simple: I would never buy anything I would not normally use just because I had a coupon, and I would not change my family's eating habits to adapt to the coupons. I haven't broken a rule (although I have picked up a few things I have never tried before because I got them for FREE!) Now I am obsessed with finding the best deals, and I get an almost euphoric feeling when I have saved a ridiculous amount of money. Below is a picture of one of my first coupon shopping trips. I spent about $28 for everything you see. And, although I felt like I was stealing, there was no shoplifting involved. Honest.
Crazy, huh? I had to go to 2 different stores, but it was worth it. Also, I know it seems like a lot of junk, and nothing healthy. But on my next trip I picked up meats, veggies and fruits that were all on sale. So there is a balance. And yes, it does take extra work. It took me about an hour to organize this shopping trip, but I saved over $100 (to put it in perspective, before I would have spent almost $28 on the soda and Aveeno cleansing pads alone!). And if that wasn't incentive enough, knowing that I could then turn around and guiltlessly use that money to get my next restaurant fix, well that was well worth it. Souper Salad, here I come.....

13 comments:

DANIELDOOZ said...

Way to go Amber! It's fun isn't it? I'm beginning to get the hang of it...one deal at a time. Sometimes knowing when to stop is the tough part. After all, how many cereal boxes and crackers do I really need? Still can't decide if I should return to Albertsons.....by the way, my husband happened to be in the gym last Friday when you taught. He was interested in your class--not to attend per say, but thought it looked like fun and that I should ask about your circle of steps. So--I'm askin!

Krista said...

I so need to get in on this coupon craze!! I want to save money and eat every meal out!!!!

Amy Hall said...

And those are all name brand things! I am so impressed! I have tried doing the coupon thing many times but maybe I will try again.....

Unknown said...

I also forget to use coupons and then I eventually go through my wallet and throw out a couple months worth of expired coupons. I'm with Amy though, maybe I'll give it another shot.
Susan

Jessica said...

It's hard to believe that my affair with coupons started almost a year ago, and our relationship is stronger than ever. There are weeks that I HATE to cup and organize all those coupons, but it's SO worth is in the end! We went from spending about $500/month on groceries to $300/month + I have about a year's supply of food and 10 year's supply of toothpaste :)

Michelle said...

Thank you for the tip! I am super excited to try it out. Do you think I will save enough money to convince my husband that I need to be a stay-at-home-shopper?

Andrea said...

Okay, first: go to your friggin' inbox and retrieve the e-mail Michelle and I concocted today directed toward you (it will answer both your need for eating out, and your desire to replace those yoga pants)!

Second: coupons? Really? I have several friends that are FREAK-EE about couponing. It seems like so much work, and let's face it, I'm LAZ-EE. Plus I like to tell myself that you have to live in a big city to do it. But maybe I'll have to get the scoop when I'm there. Maybe you can convince me to try it. Maybe.

Pam said...

So, you are going to have to tell me the secret, because I just cannot get into the clipping, SO MUCH TIME that I feel like I don't have already.

Stephanie said...

Okay, first I have to say of your previous two posts that I love your interviews. What a fun idea, and hilarious too. Your girls are fun. Now, on to this post. I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. I also LOVE eating out and NEVER buy myself anything, and I have brainstormed many a time as to how to continue funding my stomach, while at the same time completely avoiding the idea of couponing. I HATE grocery shopping, and although I'm impressed with your savings, I also have to ask, do you eat that much cereal? And how long before it goes bad? But seriously, I might(notice my noncommittal word) have to check out your friends blog.

lemontree said...

Have seen this website? http://www.wisebread.com/

They post a Best Deals list everyday, which includes free samples.

Heather said...

I SO look forward to doing this when we are done with School!!! You are now my inspriation. I may call you for tips:)

Belladonna said...

Amber, the key to your success is to NOT buy anything you would not normally just because of the coupon. I do know some people who end up spending MORE because they can't resist the "bargain" they are getting...YES, they get a lot, but it doesn't matter if dog food is on sale if you don't have a dog!

People are finding lots of ways to cut back. This seems like a good one!

(By the way, I LOVE the music you have on your blog.)

Monica said...

Ok that eye is kinds creepy. Sorry Belladonna. Love the post. I may have to share it. So I am going to invite you as an author and you can do with it what you like. But maybe just maybe all my dreams will come true and you will write for us.
I am glad that you have taken off with it and it is working for you. I still laugh about how against it you were in Jan when I first told you about it. Anyway it is 12:30 so maybe I should go to bed. Let me know when you want to do your class.