I was at the gym this morning setting up for class when two guys walked in. I had never seen them before. They had completed their workout and asked if they could use the room to stretch before my class started. While they stretched, we made small talk. How long had I been teaching? Why had I never seen them around the gym before? Were they not hardcore enough to take my class? Would I like to have an arm wrestling contest with them?
The good natured banter went back and forth for a few minutes. Then they gathered their things and as they were walking out the door one of the guys turned to me and said, "Have a nice life!" And then the following conversation took place:
Me: See I told you you were too afraid to come back and take my class.
Him: Well if you taught your class in Poway, California I would certainly give it a try.
Me: Oh you're from Poway. My father used to work for a newspaper down there.
Him: I work for a newspaper in Poway. What is his name?
Me: Steve Heide.
Him: I remember Steve. Worked there back in the 90's didn't he?
Me: You knew my father?
Him: Well we worked in different departments, so I didn't know him well. But that's not a name you easily forget. What's he doing now?
Me: Sadly, he died in a motorcycle accident a few years ago.
Him: Oh I'm sorry to hear that. He seemed like such a good man.
Me: He was.
And then my class began filing in and he excused himself so I could start on time. But my heart was racing. That brief encounter had rattled me. He knew my father. And maybe not well, but he knew him. And I wanted to chase after him and ask him a million more questions. Was my father well liked? Was he a hard worker? What was he like? Who did he hang around?
Lucky for him, I had a class waiting on me. Because even though he made it clear he did not know my father well, I would have bounced question after question off of him. I would have wanted to get his contact info and email him more questions. Questions he could not answer. Questions I could not answer. Questions that are best left unanswered.
I know my father loved me. I don't doubt that. But he was absent. And he did not know what being a father meant. You have to be present. You have to show love, not just buy it. You have to be a lot of things he was incapable of being. Yes I know he loved me, but not much more.
I never really knew him. I think few people actually did. He will always be somewhat of a mystery to me. Which is fine. Because I have chosen to fill in the blanks with good memories. The best ones are the only ones I think of. The perfect ones are the ones I share with my daughters.
And so for a few minutes this morning, when my thoughts turned to my father, all these emotions came crashing to the surface. All these cherished memories began battling with what was real. And I know my memories of him aren't always accurate. I know they are a bit flawed, too sugarcoated. But his death allowed me that. I get to choose how I remember him. I don't get to make new memories, so the ones I replay, the ones that matter, are exactly as they should be.
17 comments:
What a small world!
Amber,
I think you know that I relate very well to you in regards to loss.
It is a wonderful thing, a memory, and for our own sakes, we can choose what we dwell on, ponder and what is something that we hang onto. No one is perfect and many have parents who are less than desireable. But what good does it do to bring bad things up? Who cares if our memory of someone is sugarcoated? If it makes a life easier to live, more happy, then it is a good thing.
That is what I think. :) I miss both my Mom and Dad.
You are wise to think of the good.
Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Love ya, Michelle
I admire you kid, I seem to only let the bad one surface. You are hard core!
Somebody must have been thinking of you for ths little meeting to happen ;)
We all have our own way of grieving and remembering. I too would be more likely to focus on the good than the bad. And why not? You are right, you choose your memories and shape them. It is probably more healthy for you (and your family) to focus on the good then dwell on the bad. What a heart felt post - I applaud you for sharing it!
That is just nuts! Nuts that you would meet him and he have known your dad.
I could only imagine what questions you'd ask him! I'm sorry for your loss. You rock for the way you can share it and have perspective.
amazing, isn't it?! that man, the small talk, the knowing your father, and then being reminded that it's ok not to KNOW it all. gives me chills. really! i can't help but think that you didn't run into him because of the size of the world, but maybe because He wanted you to be reminded that what you know IS ok, and maybe to bring a little peace your way, too.
Thank you so much for sharing your story Amber! It really hit home for so many reasons. My dad was a good man with a problem. He died of cancer a few years ago and I too only share and choose the good memories. Because I know he loved me and I now think he did his best with what he was capitable of giving. Thank you again! Awesome Post!!!
Oh Amber, my heart was aching for you when I read this. And I am so thankful that as in your post
"Understanding Grace", my precious granddaughters will never know such pain. Keep finding the good in all things!
Hugs,
Connie
That's a really beautiful well-written post, if not bitter sweet.
Reality is an interesting thing. How much of it is true?
I think if you know the truth about the bad and recognize that, I think it is also helpful and honest to recognize the good.
I love that scripture Michelle quoted. :)
I always find it amazing that memories become sweeter and better with time. Maybe it's not true for everybody, but when we remember the good (and hype it up), we are better able to heal and hope. If our minds dwelt on the horrible and the ugly (and got worse with time), I don't know what the point of moving forward would even be.
I miss you.
I love Michelle's comment and the scripture that followed. We all see and experience the good and the bad...what we choose to dwell on, however, reveals our character. I can learn from that......a lot!
Hi Amber!!
Thank you for wanting to send books for our cause. You Rock!!
When you get a chance just email me through my 'contact me' tab on my blog and I will send you all the info.
Your bloggy friend,
Heather
Wow. This hit home for me. My fiance died in a motorcycle accident. I have to sometimes remind myself about what you were saying. Yes, he was wonderful, but the memories that stand out are the good ones. Things ARE sugarcoated.
I would have wanted to run after him too and ask him a whole bunch of questions. You have your good memories of your dad. No dad is perfect...no person is perfect, but I'm glad you do have some good memories. Some people have none. I do, however, and I'm so glad.
It's weird how things like that happen and make us think about...so much.
Love your writing.
I envy your ability to cherish the good things Amber. This post made me cry....probably because of my present situaion. Anyways, I think you should keep your memories positive and cherish the good. There is nothing wrong with that :)
Wow... I really like your attitude and how you are choosing to remember your father. Honorable and graceful. Making good choices, I bet that brings some peace to you. Thanks for your heartfelt post. :)
Post a Comment