July 07, 2010

Living Selfishly

I'm 31 now. As of the 3rd. And this past year has been such an interesting one, in such a good way.

If we are being honest, and we are, besides the birth of my daughters, my 20's were somewhat of blur. I was so hellbent on making something of myself that I forgot to take a peek inside and realize that making something of one's self starts there. I know that now.

I also know how important being selfish is.

I wanted to be the best friend. The best employee. The best wife. The best mother. I didn't want to let anyone else down. And in doing so I let myself down all the time. I was the easiest person to let down. I felt there would be little consequence. I was wrong.

I  know now that serving myself is just as important as serving others. And I have discovered that when I do allow myself to selfishly put my needs up there with the needs of everyone else in my life, it makes me happy, not guilty as I always believed it would.

I will never stop serving others (I'm no Mother Theresa. I serve for selfish purposes because it makes me feel needed). But I will now reserve a little time to do things that are important to me and me alone. I have learned that when I do that, I have so much more energy and motivation.

I guess I never thought being selfish would feel so good. Only took me 31 years to figure that out.

ps. In an ironic Happy Birthday to Me, I was gifted the flu. An idiot-proof diet method is what I always wanted though, so I'm not complaining!

12 comments:

Lil' Stormster said...

You go girl! You do so much for others, you reserve the right to have some 'me' time!

Cat said...

100% agree. I find I am still very caught up in trying to make everyone I love proud of me but I know deep down that what you say is true and have slowly been coming to that realization as I "mature." My common analogy is how the flight attendants tell you to secure your own mask first. . . when I was young that seemed less than heroic but I understand now that you have more of yourself to give when you have taken the time to build yourself up. I guess aging has a couple of perks, doesn't it?

Mom said...

I read somewhere that you should do three things for yourself each day in these categories: physical, mental, and spiritual. I try, though it's hard to fit it all in. You figured it out on your own. You never cease to amaze me! Happy Birthday, daughter!

Love,
Mom XOXO

Jen said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Being a woman is so complicated, isn't it? Do you think men worry about these types of things? Nope. Maybe we could learn something from them.

Jen said...

OHMY... I just realized the thing is on JULY 10th!! I emailed you asking about a gift card. Is it too late to do that, or could I just make a donation?

Andrea said...

I figured this out in year 28, and somehow between then and now, I have taken it overboard. Lately I feel like the most selfish human being on the planet. When did I start resenting my children for living in/messing up MY house, interrupting MY thoughts, and needing MY time? Now I'm on a backward mission of rediscovering how good it feels to be selfless. But it's much harder to go back than I ever imagined it would be.

Andrea said...

Well, I am forced to comment again, because the word verification is "waffels", and who can pass up THAT opportunity?

Not me.

Alisa said...

I've been trying to put my finger on maturity. When does one "mature?" Because I am certainly far from it. I think you're onto something. I have a lot to learn.

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to you..I love your post. LOVE IT! Poor girl.. the flu. No fun, at all. YOU have inspired me,by the way. What did I just commit to? Triathalon, baby. September 19th. Throwing it down. I hope I don't mangle myself. I am 37 now. A lot changes on the ol' bod in 4 years.

Michelle said...

Well the flu is not a very nice birthday gift. My favorite part of aging is learning.

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

happy belated birthday amber!!

taking care of yourself isn't selfish, it's necessary, just like brushing your teeth and eating food. and just cause it feels good doesn't mean it's a bad thing. i'm so glad you've realized that.

how did the garage sale go?? i still have onesies to ship out to you. does the mama know the sex of the babies yet?

Andrea said...

Talk about selfish! It's been 5 days since you blogged!

p.s. your blog has the best word verifications. This time it's sessi. Which I think is a combination of sassy and sexy.