Brown, ugly and apparently, a permanent part of our family, it's existence is 100% my fault. My husband wanted one so badly. He, having no regard for the fact that a banana chair would convert our living room from aesthetically pleasing to aesthetically unpleasing the second it took up residence in the corner of our first apartment, begged for what he called "the most comfortable chair on earth." Blame it on the fact that I was a newlywed, eager to please him regardless of the sacrifice (if I would have known that the sacrifice would span for 7 years, I might have rethought my eagerness!). I sought it out. I found it for a bargain price. I loaded the hideous thing in the back of my husband's truck (that I had strategically borrowed from him while he was at work to add an element of surprise). He loved it. He still does. I hated it. I still do.
I can't get rid of it. I have tried to trash it during 3 moves, but it always seems to reappear. I hide it in our bedroom, in the corner of the office, even in a closet, but it makes its way back to the living room, front and center. And now, to make matters worse, my daughters have grown fond of it. They climb, flip and rock on it for hours. So now I am left to wonder. Is there something about a banana chair that I am missing? Is it the most underappreciated piece of furniture of our decade?
Before you answer, allow me to post pictures of the banana chair's latest casualty:

So now, because it has done harm to my child (okay so the bruise was MUCH worse than it looks here, I swear), do you think I have the right (as a protective mother of course) to take a match to it? Please?
4 comments:
If it would help, I've got connections with social services...you could be court-ordered to remove the banana chair from your place of residence if they got ahold of those pictures. Ouch. I, too, am a banana chair loather, but the aesthetic qualities (or lack thereof) have never even entered my mind as a contributer to this loath until now. So I thank you. I hate them because they are HORRIBLE for your knees, and my knees ache for hours after sitting in one, so I haven't since high school. I don't know if it was a special 20/20: Banana Chair Edition, or other such documentary, but I remember thinking, "Aha...so I'm NOT just imagining that this thing is wrecking my knees." Since then I have banned all furniture bearing a fruit's name, and I advise you to do the same.
Oh, by the way, I think we have the same carpet, tile, paint color, and dining room chairs. Great minds, huh?
Eww...and yes, light'er up! I am dealing with the same issue with Matt except ours is a 7 year old black leather recliner. Unfortunately it hasn't caused harm yet; it just makes it impossible to arrange my living room into anything nice! I hate it! The ironic part is that he doesn't even sit in it! I could go downstairs right now and he would be sitting on the couch...it's outta here; thanks for the motivation!
ps. Am I the only mom left with a mullet-haired child?
Remember the banana chair I had in our apartment? I loved that thing. I still miss it. I had to let it go when my kids started to turn it over and use it as a slide. Ahhh... the memories!
Post a Comment