July 12, 2008

An apple a day....

I was at the gym this morning when a friend of mine told me about the death of a mutual friend of ours. Although it has been years since I have spoken to her, the events surrounding her death took my breath away. She was my age and quite healthy. She died of a heart attack. Heart problems run in her family, but she had always been the healthy exception. I was stunned. She leaves behind 2 young children and a heart broken husband.

My mind was racing as I left the gym. I know my chances of having a heart attack at my age are much less than being killed in a car accident, but it still made me evaluate my habits. Am I doing everything in my power to keep myself healthy? Am I taking care of me so that I will be around to take care of my family? I believe I owe it to them.

I have never looked at it from that perspective before. Living an active, healthy lifestyle has always been about me. I have a love affair with food, but I also love to work out. I thought the balance of the two was sufficient. What I failed to take into consideration was that I am setting an example for my children with every meal I consume. When I opt for the chocolate chip cookie instead of the apple, my daughters notice. When I, out of sheer laziness, hit the drive through instead of making them lunch for the 3rd time in one week, I am short changing them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I'm going to swear off ice cream and candy (I think that would cause me to sink into a permanent depression). I am just realizing how much of a responsibility I have to not only keep myself healthy, but to pass on a healthy lifestyle to my children. I want them to grow up strong and active, and it falls on us as parents to teach them how to achieve that.

I have also recently noticed how eating habits change behaviors. I'm sure you think I am talking about the direct correlation between a bratty, wild child and a sugar overdose, but I am actually referring to myself. Since I have started teaching classes at the gym and made small changes to my diet, I have had so much more energy. This translates into a cleaner house, more home cooked meals and a desire to play with my kids more. It is just the opposite of what seems to make sense to me. Exert more energy: have more energy?

Bottom line is this: I love how I feel when I am making healthy choices (with allowed splurges for sanity purposes!) and I want my kids to experience that as well. I am going to try to be more conscious of the example I am setting for them and of the habits I bring into my home. Because life takes unexpected turns and my plan to live to be 100 may not play out, I want to take the time I do have and not only live a healthy life, but share that healthy life with my family.

9 comments:

Chredna said...

Holy cow!!! I needed to read this today. I had a small health scare last year and it made me realize how much I want to be healthy for my kids! I could not imagine leaving them without a mother or a father. I tell Chris everyday because we're both overweight and he has a family history of heart problems that we need to really get into gear, not just to look good our clothes, but Ryan and Reagan. Thank you!

Jessica said...

Who died? Anyone I know? Isn't it amazing how much of a difference it make whether you exercise and eat right in regards to energy? I know it to be true, yet find myself not living by it

Andrea said...

I am now convicted of drive-through laziness also...I vow to do better!

Amber said...

Her name was Christina Farnsworth Mourant. I knew her back in my college days. She was an amazing example to me and was always such a positive person. She will truly be missed!

The Howard Family said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, that is scary and puts things into prospective. I'm jelouse of your extra energy!, I guess that's a que that I should change some of my eating habbits, as well. I did start running again! and am loving it(5 1/2 miles a day!) I didn't know I had it in me.

I was wanting to get some advice from you about your class reunion, any games or an activity you did to get people talking and breaking the ice? Let me know ~ Lori

Monica said...

As I read this I was feeling kinda sick because I just ate root beer and pizza for dinner. I don't drink pop/soda much but my inlaws were here this weeking and they bought some, so if it is there and I don't have to pay any extra for it I will give into rootbeer. Any how it always makes me feel sick. I think it my bodies way of letting me know that it does not like the empty calories I have just consumed. Pop/soda has no nutritional value and is packed with sugar and acid that are bad for your body and harmful to your teeth. At least a chocolate has a little bit of nutritional value.

Debbie and Boys said...

Was Christina in our ward in college and have black hair? I think I know who she was, but I'm not sure. Thats unreal. We never know when our time is done do we. Better make the most of it!

Andrea said...

At least weekly I vow to become a healthier example for my children and husband, and at least hourly I cave and crumble to my baser desires. Why is it so hard? I KNOW I feel better when I exercise and eat somewhat healthy, and yet I chose to sit on my rear and consume as much life-sucking trash as I can get my hands on. It's disgusting. Sorry about your friend. That is tragic and shocking! No matter what, you never think it can happen to you.

Heather said...

Since I have a goal to gain no weight during this pregnancy, which I have done so far, I do notice that I remind my self of this goal everytime I reach for something that I shouldn't. I think goal setting is the way to go. You have a good goal, to eat healthier for your children, so you and be there for them as long as you can be. Thanks for the inspriring thoughts. Sorry about your friend. I hope her husband and Children really knew how much she loved them.