July 29, 2008

Yummy!

My girls LOVE popsicles. I mean love. They usually eat one a day (unless Claire sneaks into the fridge in the garage and eats 2 or 3 without us knowing!). I know popsicles are a summer staple, but I always felt bad loading the girls up with all that extra sugar. So we decided to make our own healthy version. Mark set off to gather the ingredients while the girls were napping. The only problem we ran into was a lack of popsicle molds. He went to 4 stores and still came back empty handed! So as you will see below, we improvised. They were simple to make, the girls loved helping and Mark and I ended up with delicious smoothies too!

The ingredients.
Fill the blender up about 3/4 full of berries. Add enough juice to cover half the berries and then dump enough yogurt in to cover the other half (I try to be scientific with my measurements if you can't tell). If the berries are frozen you will need to use the ice crushing feature on the blender or you will burn up the motor.
The finished product for the parents to enjoy!

Our makeshift popsicle mold. We inserted toothpicks when they were solid enough to hold them upright.

The girls enjoying their healthy treats!

Oh and just for fun I thought I would include a picture of what Claire was doing while I was blending with my back to her. (Note to self: Claire can now climb to the 3rd shelf of the pantry!)

9 comments:

Jessica said...

that looks yummy! can you send some my way?

Krista said...

This looks delicious!! I need to get a blender....

Kristin said...

Oh gosh! That wild child of yours! LOL! I think the ice-cube trays are absolutely acceptable as the popsicle mold.

Stephanie said...

I need to learn to be healthy! That sounds yummy!

Stephanie said...

Oh, and how could I forget...it's so funny that you left that comment on my blog today...three days left. I had seriously said those three words in my head several times today after seeing the countdown on my blog. I am so excited that I'm thinking about going to a launch party at a bookstore.as

Pam said...

I'm going to have to try these, they look good!

I would love to take your family photos. Email me and we can work out the details, pkogrant{at}netscape{dot}net

Andrea said...

I used to make similar popsicles often, until my molds broke. Now I just let my kids eat store-bought popsicles like there's no tomorrow, cause I honestly believe that anything that you eat out of doors, in the sunshine (got to get that vitamin E, right?) must be healthy - regardless of silly nutrition facts printed on the package.

Monica said...

I got a great popsicle mold at IKEA a few years back. Many of the popsicle sticks have been ruined recently so I am planning on getting one when I go to CA next month. I will bring you one.

Amy Hall said...

These do look yummy! I love smoothies! I drink them alot in the morning....yum!
I also wrote you and email regarding my blog and it's malfunctions :(.