April 28, 2012

Paleo Plate Pictures: Day 8

It's gluten-free. It's dairy-free. It's Paleo. AND it's loved by every member of my family. SCORE!


I've had a few of you ask me for the crepe recipe I use. I've combined a few recipes I've found and tweaked them a bit until I found a recipe that worked for me. Here it is:

Coconut Flour Crepes 

2 eggs
2 Tbs of melted coconut oil (plus extra for cooking)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbs coconut flour
Sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg
1/3 cup coconut milk
Strawberries (or whatever berries you have on hand)

Beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and salt. Stir in coconut flour, nutmeg and cinnamon and then add coconut milk. Heat a small pad of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pour about an 1/8 cup of batter in the skillet and spread it around with a spatula until you have a very thin layer. Cook 1-2 minutes or until the crepe is cooked around the edges. Carefully flip the crepe and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Fill with berries and roll up.

Vanilla Coconut Frosting

1 cup of chilled coconut milk (must be full fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon
1 Tbs honey

Using a hand mixer, whip ingredients together. Drizzle over crepes. You can also skim the top off a can of coconut milk (just down to the liquid), chill overnight and then whip for about 5 minutes on high to get more of a whipped cream. Then add the remaining ingredient and whip just until blended. I don't do this because I'm impatient and I've found it tastes exactly the same. So we just drizzle the more liquidy frosting over the crepes and gobble them up.


3 comments:

Andrea said...

How many does it make in your experience? Cause I hate making a recipe that only makes four. If I'm going to go to the trouble of making something yummy, I want it to make a LOT so I don't have to make it again for a while.

Gaylynn said...

my batter was really thick. and made about 5 smallish pancakes. and my 3 year old loved them!

Amber said...

Mine makes about 6. You could easily double or triple the recipe. They still taste great reheated the next day if you have leftovers.