April 06, 2011

Healing


 "As I sat staring in the mirror this afternoon, I couldn't help but wonder how people view me. I haven't always been comfortable in my own skin, but I have grown accustom to the way I look. Each morning, a full head of matted blond hair greets me as I rub the sleep from my eyes and run a toothbrush over my slightly crooked teeth. My fingers trace the scar on my cheek as I scrub away the blah of night and attempt to invigorate, refresh, brighten or whatever the cream-of-the-week is promising me. I am familiar with the face that stares back at me now. For awhile, I got hung up on that blasted cheek. Whenever I stood in front of a mirror, that scar was the first place my eyes would go. And the story was the same whenever I was having a conversation with anyone: the husband, my kiddos, a friend. Without realizing it, their eyes would drift from mine to the right side of my face. The scar did not define me, but it shifted the focus to imperfections. I had to know if those imperfections were what they saw in me too. What was I reflecting?"

I found the paragraph above in drafts from November 2009. I never posted it. It's a bit deep for my mood tonight and kind of rambly, but important for me to share it. I had surgery to remove a little bit of skin cancer in July 2009. I hated the ugly scarring on my check for a long time, certain it would not fade. The scar is hardly visible now. Staring in the mirror two years ago, you could not have convinced me that I would have to squint to see a scar while staring in the mirror today. As with most things in life, time heals everything. But that is only a lesson we realize after time has passed. With each new trial, each new tragedy, that is as lesson that must be relearned.

4 comments:

Amy Hall said...

:)

Andrea said...

Isn't it too bad that we can't be comforted knowing that time heals all wounds when we are freshly-wounded? It's true, but it is so hard to realize until, like you said, time has healed it. Aw, humans. Such a silly group, aren't we?

p.s. I liked your scar. I thought it was dead sexy.

Lil' Stormster said...

I gotta admit, you looked freakin hot in that photo. The last thing I noticed was your scar - 1st thing was your AMAZING eyes!

Rachel said...

Amber, I'm so glad you are posting every single day. I am finally catching up with your blog. Time does heal everything. In the moment it's always tough to see that though :)